Senior Series: Sadie Hill

Sadie+Hill%2C+fourth-year+Womens+Soccer+Athlete.+

Riley Bream

Sadie Hill, fourth-year Women’s Soccer Athlete.

Hunter Penn, Staff Writer

This week I had the pleasure of getting to know a Westmont women’s soccer athlete, Sadie Hill.

Hill, a fourth-year student from Huntington Beach, California, has made a home in the Westmont community. Hill chose Westmont not only because her parents attended the school, but for the community and the balance it offered for her college experience. Westmont has allowed Hill to both play soccer and take her academics seriously.

Hill has been playing soccer since she was only four years old. When it comes to being on Westmont’s soccer team, Hill stated, “the hardest part of being on the soccer team, or a student-athlete in general, is managing and balancing time for all the demands that come with college. Keeping up with school, having a social life and playing soccer can add up, so having balance is super important  but challenging.” With that established, Hill also explains the rewarding nature of the experience: “The best part of being on the soccer team is the community and the satisfaction of grinding with all your teammates. Working hard every day with a group of girls brings such a fun bond!”

Hill dominating on the field in a recent game. (Brad Elliot)

Outside of playing soccer and working hard in school, Hill loves to cook and go to the beach in her free time. Although she is from the sunny state of California, she also enjoys snowboarding in the winter. Hill also likes to play tennis and would really like to get better at it in the future.

One fun fact about her is that she was able to study abroad in England and Scotland this past summer with the Kinesiology department, an experience she thoroughly enjoyed.

After graduating, Hill plans to attend nursing school to follow her dream of becoming a labor and delivery nurse and eventually becoming a midwife. She has looked into nursing schools in Denver but realistically imagines herself staying in California. Hill is looking forward to discovering her life post-soccer, although it may be a little scary at first. She is excited for a new chapter of health and fitness goals and one day starting a family!

To end our interview, I asked Sadie for some advice for younger students both on and off the field: “My advice for on and off the field is quite similar,” she offered. “See the bigger picture and realize that life and self-worth are so much more than performance on the field. It’s hard not to get tangled up in the stress of performing well, but having perspective on what truly fills your cup is helpful in navigating stress.”

Although we are sad to see Sadie Hill go from Westmont, we are excited to see where the future leads her. You can watch Hill and the rest of the women’s soccer team on Thorrington field for the homecoming game against Hope International University on Oct. 15 at 12:30 p.m.