The World Series through Westmont’s eyes

Katherine Bouma, Staff Writer

The 2022 Major League Baseball (MLB) postseason has been a prominent topic around campus the past couple of weeks. As playoffs began, students shared their perspectives as MLB headed into their 118th edition of the World Series. 

Including 12 teams this year, instead of 10, the 2022 MLB postseason will be the first edition with a new format since 2012, now including six teams per league. First-year student-athlete on the Westmont baseball team, Cesar Correa shared his personal thoughts on the expansion of the playoffs: “You get to watch more teams get a chance to compete for the World Series. Every team plays a long season of 162 games. I feel that that is an excruciating amount of games to play in, which is why I like the extended format because teams that fell just short in the end still deserve a chance to play teams that have been in playoff contention for a while throughout the season.” 

Down to eight teams, play continues on in the American League Division Series (ALDS) and National League Division Series (NLDS) with the Yankees-Guardians and the Astros-Mariners in the American League and the Braves-Phillies and the Dodgers-Padres in the National League. 

The first game of the Division Series for all eight teams kicked off Oct. 11 with the Atlanta Braves, who fell one run short of the Philadelphia Phillies, finishing in favor of the Phillies 7-6. Also in the National League, the Los Angeles Dodgers were able to get a 5-0 lead when the San Diego Padres came back in the fifth inning with three runs from Myers, Cronenworth and Kim, concluding the game 5-3. On the other side of the competition the Houston Astros are now leading 1-0 in game one after winning 8-7 against the Seattle Mariners who will play game two of the series on Oct. 13. The New York Yankees and the Cleveland Guardians, two of the game’s best bullpens, fought it out after both teams scored a run in the third inning and the Yankees pulled through ending in a 4-1 victory.   

With a total of 111 wins in their season, the Dodgers are expected to win the 2022 World Series. Only three other teams in all of MLB history have managed to complete their season with more wins than the Dodgers did this year. The record for most wins in an MLB season is currently held by both the Chicago Cubs and the Seattle Mariners for a total of 116 wins. Correa agreed with the prediction that the Los Angeles Dodgers will win the World Series. He said, “their pitching is phenomenal and will keep them ahead in any series they play in and their batting order from one through nine all get off base and execute the jobs they need to do per at bat.” The Astros are a close second standing with a total of 106 wins in their season. Predictions for the ALDS between the Astros and Mariners lean towards the Astros, whose standings are above Seattle.  

The New York Mets, who were presumed to proceed far into postseason play, were knocked out of the playoffs by the San Diego Padres in the National League Wild Card Series in game three. Correa expressed his disappointment as he was expecting the Mets to make it further. “The Mets had 101 wins, you would think they would already be in the divisional series with that many wins but the Braves beat them to the punch. I was hoping to see Edwin Diaz close out a game in the World Series to be able to hear his iconic song with the Trumpet’s play.” Maybe next time Correa, keep those hopes up! 

Students at Westmont eagerly await to see the scores and hope that their team makes it through. We anticipate great games to finish out this season.

*Editor’s Note: This article was written before many of the games were completed.