Senior Series: Keelyn Kistner

Alyson Gee

Keelyn Kistner, Women’s Volleyball Athlete

Katherine Bouma, Staff Writer

Fourth-year setter on the Westmont volleyball team, Keelyn Kistner, has been pursuing her senior season with gusto and strength. She describes her final year on the team as “bittersweet”, as she will miss the bond she and the volleyball team have shared and grown over the years. Kistner stated, “I love my teammates all so so much and we have gotten to know one another so well. We are all just a big group of sisters. Through both the good and bad times we all find a way to just have fun when playing the sport we love.”

Kistner began her volleyball career and academic journey at Westmont College in the fall of 2019. She shared, “The atmosphere and group of girls that I now call my sisters helped my decision to attend Westmont so easy!” Kistner is described by her teammates as having “a bubbly personality, she’s a very sweet girl and her laugh can just brighten the room, she is a ray of sunshine.” As the team cherishes their last few games together, Kistner will be missed a great deal by her teammates next year.

Westmont volleyball has been doing extremely well with a record of 16 wins and four losses so far this season. Last season in 2021, the Warriors finished 20-to-11, losing in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) opening round tournament. This year, Kistner expressed her goal for her final season on the Westmont Volleyball team, “My personal goal for the end of my senior season on the volleyball team would be to make All-Conference like I did my freshman season.”

Over the past four years, Kistner has been able to balance her success in academics as well as being a student-athlete. She shared that God has helped her to healthily let go of perfectionism and mature as a young woman as she begins her last year at Westmont. Kistner expressed that “this year has been especially different because I have focused on the mindset of not being perfect all the time. Each season I was so worried to mess up in my position that I just decided to no longer let perfection get the best of me. Although this comes with experience and maturity, God has been a huge part of my life here at Westmont College and has helped me accomplish this goal!”

After graduation in the spring, Kistner has plans to share with others what she has learned during her time at Westmont: “As of right now, I plan to coach volleyball and help other girls like me reach their goals to play in college!”

To watch Kistner and the rest of the volleyball team play, head on down to Murchison Gym on Saturday, Oct. 29 for their last at-home conference game against San Diego Christian College at 2 p.m.!