Senior Series: Serena Garcia

Katherine Bouma, Staff Writer

Serena Garcia, Westmont student-athlete on the women’s golf team, is graduating in the spring and couldn’t be more thankful for her time spent in Santa Barbara and at Westmont College. Last season, Garcia recorded multiple season-bests at the California State Invitational and the PCH Invitational. The bar is set high for her this spring season. 

With a major in psychology, Garcia plans on continuing schooling and living out her dreams of becoming an optometrist in the fall. She shared her hopes for Westmont golf in the years to come, “after I graduate and leave I would love to keep the golf community as close as it is. We truly are a family, and we constantly encourage each other to be great.” Garcia will be completing her prerequisites for optometry school after graduating this spring. 

Garcia shared that there were many factors that contributed to her attending Westmont College and being a part of Westmont women’s golf, but that Coach Knecht initially “won her over.” “I first fell in love with the campus and envisioned what it would be like to be a student-athlete here. I was one of Coach Knecht’s last recruits before he retired. He won me over by sharing all of the golf courses Westmont golf teams were privileged to play. We happen to play the best golf courses in the area!” 

Garcia shared, “a prominent memory for me was when my team and I placed first at The Master’s University’s ‘Danish Classic’. This moment meant a lot to me because it showed that all of our hard-work had something to show for.” Garcia’s season average for the 2021-2022 season was 87.29, she even competed in all eight tournaments. Feb. 15 of this year, at the Spring Shootout at Rustic Canyon, Garcia placed 12th, shooting an 88. 

For her final season with Westmont women’s golf, Garcia is fired up with positive energy and ready to have a successful spring. She expressed, “I am most excited about what we can accomplish this season; we have worked very hard, and we’re excited to bring it this spring! It’s a bittersweet moment that my time as a student-athlete is coming to an end, but I am so grateful to be a part of such an awesome golf family. Go Warriors!” 

That’s right, go Warriors! After the Warrior Invitational on Feb. 27 and 28, you can catch a glimpse of Garcia doing her thing at the Cal Lutheran Regals Invitational on March 13 and 14 in Moorpark, California at the Moorpark Country Club bright and early at 8 a.m..