Women’s swim beats PRs while dropping time

Phebe Chang, Staff Writer

Despite losing as a whole in their latest swim meet, the Westmont Women’s swim team did not fail to impress, leaving with more personal records and time drops. 

“All of us rose up to the challenge and swam really well. We beat Simpson and we almost won against UCSC which was super awesome!” says Emma Leathers, a freshman on the team. 

Leathers swam the 400 IM and even dropped her fastest time by almost 11 seconds, coming in at a final time of 5:39.06. Sophomore Olivia Hubner also competed in the 400 IM coming in first place. 

The Warriors travelled to UC Santa Cruz to compete against the Banana Slugs and Simpson University.

The first personal time drop was from freshman Morgan Bienias, when she competed with freshman Chloe Van Bogelen and junior Hannah Thompson in the 1000 yard freestyle. 

Bienias placed second in the whole race while also having a season best time of 11:14.22. Van Bogelen finished with a final time of 13:14.63, 18 seconds faster than her previous time. Thompson finished at 13:18.94 which was 43 seconds faster than her personal record. 

Junior Sam Allensworth raced in the 200 yard freestyle and also beat her personal record. Allensworth says, “My 200 free felt better than the last time that I had swam it. We’ve been working on endurance and pacing 50s in practice, so I think that really helped me in the race.”

Junior Ceili Smaw was the only Warrior completing in the 200 yard butterfly, coming in third place. She also had a personal record made at the meet. She finished at a time of 2:54.95. 

On top of all of the personal records that were made, multiple Warriors placed in the top three of their events. Freshman Bailey Lemmon placed first in her 100 yard backstroke followed by freshman Gaby Rego who came in fourth. Lemmon also placed first in the 50 yard freestyle followed by freshman Devyn Hynds, who finished fourth out of nine. 

Hynds also placed in her 100 yard freestyle in second place followed by senior and team captain Allison Gonzalez who finished in fourth place. 

Bienias came in first place in the 200 yard backstroke with a time of 2:18.68. She says, “We are training really hard getting ready for our first conference meet and the coaches have prepared us well. I’m so proud of everyone on the team! It was cold and we’re all tired from training, but everyone pulled it together and swam their best!”

The Warriors finished the meet with a first place win in the 400 yard freestyle relay with a final time of 3:54.47. 

“Overall, I would say it went well. A lot of girls (myself included) were swimming events that we hadn’t really swam in the season, and everyone powered through and did great! Having my teammates on the other end of the pool cheering for me also helped me to feel motivated!” says Allensworth, concluding the successful meet. 

The Warriors have one more meet before the PCSC Championships and will cap off their season on March 4 at the NAIA National Championships.