Track and field at the Gaucho round-up

Caleb Choi, Staff Writer

After competing at home for their first two meets, the Westmont men’s and women’s track and field team competed at UC Santa Barbara’s Pauley track for the Gaucho Round Up. UC Santa Barbara competed in their season opener, while Westmont competed in their third indoor meet of the season. In addition to West-

mont and UC Santa Barbara, Pepperdine also competed in the meet.

Following a 5-3-2-1 point system, UC Santa Barbara’s men’s team won with 121.5 points, followed by Westmont with 56.5, and Pepperdine with 8. Sophomore Jared Harper placed second in both the 100m and 200m sprint as well as in long jump. Junior

William Warner placed second in the 400m. Freshman Ty Hernandez (400m hurdles) and senior Pieter Top (110m hurdles) both won their events. The4x400m relay team also won in a time of 3:24.54. 

In field events, junior Seth Wilmoth and junior Cameron Franklin placed first and second, respectively, in pole vault, while senior Jack Dickinson won in javelin.

On the women’s side, UC Santa Barbara also won 136 points, with Westmont coming in second with 44 points, and Pepperdine in third place

with 12 points. 

Senior Emily Parks won the 400m hurdles and placed second in the 400m

sprint. Freshman Emily Green came in second in the 110m hurdles and the 4x400m relay team also finished in second.

Senior M’kya Williams (high jump), senior Chena Underhill (pole vault), junior

Michaela Banyi (javelin), and junior Sydney Marr (hammer) all placed in second in their respective event.

This was the last indoor meet for the Warriors before the NAIA indoor national

championship in Brookings, South Dakota. Overall, it was a great learning experience for

the team in preparing them to compete in the Golden State Athletic Conference track and field championship in April.