Baseball wins three of four games against The Master’s

Jacob Norling, Staff Writer

Coming into this past weekend, the Warriors had won three of four games in their first two Golden State Athletic Conference (GSAC) series, first at William Jessup, then at home against San Diego Christian.

Heading into their most recent series, this time in Santa Clarita against The Master’s,

Westmont was looking to improve upon the one thing they had not accomplished in GSAC play: winning game four.

In peculiar fashion, Westmont has looked like the best team in the GSAC for the first- three games of their weekend series, but dropped the same game four for two weeks in a row, and whether you want to use the word shockingly or as expected, they turned in the same result this weekend.

On Friday against The Master’s, when the Warriors took both games by the final scores

of 6-4 and 3-1, it was the pitching that led the way for Westmont as usual, but theWarriors’ bats also turned in one of their most timely performances of the season thus far.

In game one, Westmont ace Corey Dawson “had a hard time getting going and wasn’t

in rhythm early in the game,” said coach Robert Ruiz, but as the game went on, Ruiz credited Dawson for keeping the club in the ballgame.

“The offense just kept competing, Daniel Netz had two home runs and Alex Stuft had

a breakout day at the plate. Simon Reid was off the charts defensively and offensively.”

For game two, Jamie Kruger turned in another gem, recording his second consecutive complete game victory, this time finishing the ball game with just 82 pitches.

Devin Perez claimed the title of hero on this day, however, as the team had yet to score

entering their final outs in the seventh when Perez hit what turned out to be the eventual game-winning two-run shot, his team-leading seventh home run of the season.

In game three, another late rally led to the team scoring the go-ahead run late, this time

in the ninth, allowing closer Bailey Reid to record the save and pad his MLB resume.

In game four, aside from a Perez home run, the bats went quiet again, giving freshman Ryan Humphrees his third consecutive game four loss. Westmont, after taking three of four from The Master’s this weekend, has turned in one of the most bittersweet 9-3 starts to a GSAC season as you could imagine. 

Westmont players echo the somewhat humorous frustration given that the team feels

as though they could and in a way should be 12-0, but as they sit atop the GSAC early with a

two-game lead for first place, the club’s Lewiston dreams continue to build momentum.