GSAC 101

Keilani Mayo, Staff Writer

All over the country, many student athletes are mourning over their seasons coming to an abrupt close. This pertains to the Golden State Athletic Conference (GSAC), which consists of ten teams, two in Arizona and the other eight residing in California, Westmont being one of them. 

Teams would usually compete against one another, traveling back and forth, from school to school, competing to win a conference title. Each plays each other twice, once at each school. The more wins a team consumed against the other teams, the higher it was ranked in polls. In order to obtain a conference title, the team ending its season ranked number one in conference is crowned champion. 

The Golden State Athletic Conference is considered one of the top NAIA conferences in the nation. Most teams in the conference are ranked in the nation in multiple sports. Unfortunately, with the global COVID-19 pandemic, GSAC has cancelled all remaining games and conference championships. 

Similarly to the rest of the world, GSAC took the stance to cancel the rest of the seasons in order to “force social distancing to ‘flatten the curve,’” GSAC commissioner Mike Daniels said in an interview. 

As a result of all the cancellations, the Golden State Athletic Conference has given relief to all the spring athletes affected. 

According to the Golden State Athletic Conference, “Any spring sport student-athlete who was enrolled full-time in 2020 will be awarded two additional semester terms of attendance or the equivalent.” In regards to transfer regulations and academic eligibility, GSAC has not received any further information from the NAIA National Office. 

The Golden State Athletic Conference hasn’t received any more information regarding what COVID-19 will have on future rankings and current standings. We deeply empathize with the athletes who were hoping to achieve greatness this year, but understand why the GSAC and NAIA prioritized the health and safety of all.