Senior Highlight: Bailey “Cold As Ice” Reid

Jacob Norling, Staff Writer

If you were near Russ Carr Field during the last couple seasons and happened to hear the Foreigner song “Cold As Ice” playing over the loudspeaker, that meant two things. First, Westmont had a lead going into the ninth inning. And secondly, the game was all but finished. Westmont senior Bailey Reid used the song as his fittingly theatrical entrance theme throughout his career as the club’s closer, as if to warn the opposition of the ice running through his veins. 

Throughout his Westmont career, Reid put up nothing more than absurd, video-game like numbers, finishing his career with an opponents’ batting average of .103, striking out an average of 14.9 batters per nine innings, and the last time he gave up a run? April … of 2018. Westmont College will not be the last place that Bailey Reid pitches. Not even close.

Over the past few seasons, professional scouts from organizations such as the New York Yankees and Miami Marlins have made sure to never miss a Bailey Reid outing, looking at their radar guns in amazement between every pitch and seeing “95 MPH” more times than not. While the good athletes are fun to watch, the great ones, like Reid, have a story worth investing in as well.

This season, Bailey’s last at Westmont, he threw to a freshman catcher, who was trusted with calling pitches. What freshman would be trusted to not only catch, but call games for one of Westmont’s greatest arms? Simon Reid, Bailey’s younger brother. 

Bailey called this “a blessing,” saying, “Simon knows me better than anybody on this earth having lived in the same room for 13 years, getting to share those ninth innings together is special beyond belief.”

When longtime Westmont pitching coach Tony Cougoule had his first look at Reid, he was playing third base at a Westmont Prospect Camp. During the camp, Reid threw a quick inning on the mound and a few pitches in, Cougoule knew they had a star on their hands. 

“That kid will never play third base for us, but he’s going to throw 95 miles an hour.” Cougoule said to coach Robert Ruiz. (He was right.)

So why, after developing a mid-nineties fastball, did Bailey Reid stay at Westmont rather than transfer to a D1 school? 

“Westmont is home to me, and there is no other school I would have rather gone to. The two best coaches in the world, Ruiz and Cougoule, developed me into that mid-90s pitcher, and without them I would never be as dominant as I was … I had scouts come look at me because I was good, not because I went to Vanderbilt. The school doesn’t matter, the player does, and when those kids hang their cleats up for the last time and I’m still playing, that D1 scholarship won’t mean much.”

Because of his talent and unwavering confidence, I wouldn’t be surprised if in a handful of years, Westmont College will post a picture honoring Bailey Reid, Westmont alum, who will be making his major league debut. Before that though, it would be a disservice to not appreciate a career such as Reid’s in the present day — one that was cut short at Westmont, due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis.

So thank you, Bailey Reid. You are indeed cold as ice.