Senior Highlights: Ryan Chung and Cade Pierson

Keilani Mayo, Staff Writer

The sports world has turned upside down during this pandemic. Every athlete has been affected by the repercussions of COVID-19, but the senior student athletes who play a sport in the spring had their final Westmont season cut short. Westmont senior tennis players Cade Pierson and Ryan Chung reflect on their time as Warriors the past four years. 

Cade Pierson, the lone senior on the women’s tennis team, had an amazing career during her collegiate years at Westmont. This past year, Cade has defeated numerous Division 1 and 2 opponents in single and double matches. Earlier this month, Pierson was honored with the GSAC Cliff Hamlow Champion of Character Award along with being named the GSAC Women’s Tennis Player of the Month for February.
Although Pierson has many athletic accomplishments throughout her tennis journey, she doesn’t fail to recognize that Christ was the center of it all. 

Being at Westmont has helped Pierson recognize that her identity was not just a tennis player but “as a child of God and as a friend and servant to my [her] neighbors.” It was through Pierson’s faith and putting God and others first where she “learned to love and appreciate the game more.” 

Looking back at her time at Westmont, Pierson says what she will miss the most is “showing up every day to do what I love the most with the people I love the most … that little family that we’ve made because of this sport.”

Moving forward, Pierson plans on going to graduate school. As a student athlete committed to both her studies and her sport, Pierson was able to balance tennis while being a double major in psychology and kinesiology. With those majors, she is still searching and seeking on what she really wants to do, whether it is coaching as a graduate assistant, pursuing tennis professionally, or getting into the realm of sports psychology. 

For the men’s tennis team, Ryan Chung’s goal this season was to “be present for both my team members and coaches.” 

Chung was constantly looking to help the team wherever he could, whether that being an outlet for his teammates’ concerns or providing feedback to many of his younger teammates. 

He hopes for his younger teammates and upcoming seniors to “actively seek out personal growth on and off the court.”

Reflecting on his time at Westmont, Chung mentions that one of his favorite moments was “seeing our coach, Mark Bashman, get on the court with us to play, was very special.” 

After graduation, Chung hopes to “get a job, complete a data science programming course, and pursue a master’s degree.” Being a Santa Barbara local and having three brothers, Chung also plans to help his family out after graduation. 

These two successful student athletes are exemplary. Even though their senior seasons were cut short, they have an abundance of accomplishments to reflect on and be proud of.