January: A month of potential redemption for Westmont athletes

Alexis Mitchell, Staff Writer

As we approach the end of a rather unique year, all of Westmont’s athletes can look forward to their scheduled and postponed seasons that are set to begin in January 2021. For both spring and fall sports, the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) has planned for athletes to be back in action as soon as next month. Many of our own Warriors, especially fall sport participants, are very eager to see the month of January roll around.

Lauren Friis is a senior volleyball player who has endured the challenges of the uncertainty that clings to her final year at Westmont. As stated by Friis at the beginning of fall, Friis has remained rather optimistic as she handles the differences she and her team have faced this year. 

Besides volleyball, other sports looking to begin competition in January include basketball, baseball, golf, soccer, tennis, track and field and cross country. In light of COVID-19, many athletes are excited for their fast-approaching seasons. For most of these teams, there has been lots of preparation for the next month as much of the fall semester consisted of practices and lifting sessions. 

With much anticipation in store, athletes such as Bri Johnson and the rest of the soccer team are simply hopeful that their season will start on its new intended date. In Johnson’s case, she believes that the delay might have enabled the team to be more mentally and physically prepared. 

Although both volleyball and soccer are fall sports that were postponed for the spring, spring athletes are also approaching their regular upcoming seasons. Sports such as basketball, baseball and golf are a few sports that may have less delay in their season, but they also had an abrupt end to their previous season. 

For many spring athletes, January is a time for redemption from their spring 2020 seasons that disappeared this past March. As we get closer to the next season, it is safe to say that it will be a rather uplifting time for all of our athletes. Athletes, coaches and fans remain cautiously optimistic about sports resuming some form of normalcy on campus.