A day in the life of a Westmont athlete: Meet Audrey Brown

Audrey Brown is a middle hitter for the women’s volleyball team. 

Phebe Chang, Staff Writer

Every morning is better with a cup of coffee, and this is a necessity for third-year Audrey Brown. Brown has a busy schedule as a kinesiology major and a middle hitter for the women’s volleyball team. 

She starts her day with Zoom classes and homework, followed by team practices. With COVID-19 affecting a lot of our day-to-day lives, Brown has been grateful for the way her coaches have adjusted to the pandemic’s surprises.

Our coach, Ruth McGolpin, has been amazing throughout this super uncertain time with COVID and trying to keep practicing and getting better on the court. I feel comfortable practicing and being with my teammates because of all the precautions we have been taking in the gym and as well as outside the gym.”

The gravity of the pandemic has clearly not been lost on the team and the caution has been beneficial for the players, coaches and the greater school population. It’s clear to see that the efforts of the team have blessed their players like Brown so they are still able to meet together for both practices and team bonding. 

“It certainly has been an adjustment, but I’m extremely excited to be getting the opportunity to keep playing. Also, to have a coaching staff that has been taking things very seriously and doing everything necessary for us to have a season, despite the circumstances.”

After a long day trying to figure out what to do when the WiFi disconnects, when to avoid the DC line, and how to balance the risk of going to practices, Brown has a lot of self-care tips to decompress. 

“In between those main things that take up most of the time … I squeeze in time to see friends and get off campus when I can!”

Brown has a really close relationship with her roommate and their friendship has become a critical part of her relaxation. 

“I usually decompress after a long day by listening to worship music and/or doing something creative, whether that be a dance party with my roommate or drawing a new piece of art for our wall.”

Alongside her love for her friends and Jesus, Brown has a deep love and joy of playing volleyball. 

“I look forward to hanging out with my roommate and teammates, as well as practice each day.”

Her love of volleyball does not go unnoticed, as Brown has already started making a name for herself on the court. 

In her first season, Brown played 18 matches. Of those 18 matches, she started in three of them with a record of 21 digs, 19 kills and 14 blocks in the season. She had her season-best six digs and five blocks at Ottawa University (OUAZ). 

If that wasn’t enough, Brown came back the next year to play in 13 matches and 18 sets. She had a record of nine kills, five digs, four assists, three blocks and one ace. During a riveting match against Westcliff, Brown accumulated five of her nine kills. 

Brown is an ambitious, loving, passionate athlete, student and friend. She is excited to see how the season and year will continue to progress.