Track and field hosts first meet of the season

Sofia Pela

Westmont prepares to throw the javelin.

Eva Marta, Staff Writer

This past weekend, the Westmont men’s and women’s track and field teams held their first official meet since COVID-19 abruptly ended their season last year on March 12. This left the team unable to clinch their eighth consecutive GSAC championship title.

After a long 325-day layoff, our Warriors made some pretty astonishing wins. Desirable weather and a home meet located on our very own Thorrington Field undoubtedly gave our athletes an extra boost of confidence when competing this weekend against their main opponent: Vanguard University. With fewer participants due to the pandemic and many athletes in quarantine, the field looked very different than it normally would. 

Some notable wins include: sophomore Madden Hundley, the winner of the women’s 3000-meter run with a time of 10:41.85, and a time difference of .23 between senior William Warner and junior Jason Peterson in the men’s 600-meter run. Warner ultimately took the win with a time of 1:24.33.

Adam King, a sophomore and the winner of the men’s mile with a time of 4:26.02, contributed his thoughts on the race and his hopes for this season: “It was good to start racing again. It was a little strange because not many schools were able to join us, so there wasn’t as much competition as a typical race, but given the circumstances I thought everyone raced pretty well for the first race of the season.”

King also ran cross country last semester and said, “Track meets are very different,” because there are multiple events in track, so properly warming up and resting between each race is crucial, compared to “one race of the day [where] all your focus is on that one race and giving it your all.” He has high hopes for this season: “The goal is to win the GSAC title again.” 

The teams competed very well, finishing with impressive times for the first competition back from an unusually long break. The following weekends leading up to the GSAC championship meet on April 23 and 24 will be crucial for our athletes who are in training. 

Our Warriors will start preparing for their upcoming event, the Sunshine Open and Multi meet, held next weekend on Feb. 12 and 13. We look forward to seeing what the second home meet of the season will hold for our athletes. Go Warriors!