Women’s basketball dominates Hope International University

Mireille Minassian, Staff Writer

Coming off a recent win against Azusa Pacific University, the Westmont women’s basketball team faced Hope International University on Tuesday night, Feb. 2. The Westmont Warriors  defeated their opponent with an impressive score of 85-41. This win advances Westmont’s overall record to 2-1, giving the ladies a two-game winning streak.

Junior guard Iyree Jarrett was the lead scorer with 16 points, and sophomore Sydney Brown did her part by contributing 13 points. Brown also led the team in rebounds, collecting an impressive eight, while freshman Destiny Okonkwo chipped in with seven. The Warriors were shooting 48.6% from the field goal, 43.8% from beyond the arc, and 76.9% from the free throw line. The team hit a total of seven shots from beyond the arc, scoring 42 points in the paint, and 32 points off of their opponents’ turnovers.

The win was a team effort, with 29 points pitched in from the bench. Although the Warriors had a slow start, but eventually progressed to hold their largest lead of the night of 44 points, shooting at a much higher percentage during the fourth quarter. 

When asked the strengths of the night, Jarrett said, “I think we did a good job moving the ball, getting stops on defense, and utilizing our strengths as a team.” 

She also gave a shout out to the ladies in the paint, saying, “Our posts did a fantastic job defending and finishing inside and our shooters were ready to score.” 

Sophomore Sydney Brown said, “Our biggest team stat of the game was probably our offensive rebounding. Our coaches challenged us all week in practice and in our pre-game talk to attack the offensive boards because we knew we’d have a somewhat height advantage against them. In total, we rebounded about 70% of our misses, which is probably a record for the team.” 

Brown mentioned that this statistic was probably the “difference maker” in the game, and frankly the final score proves that. 

This unforgiving pandemic has not seemed to faze the Warriors. When asked about the difficulties amidst COVID-19, Jarrett said, “Due to the pandemic, we have had a lot of game cancellations and schedule changes. We have been tested over twenty times to be able to play, but thankfully every person on the team has stayed healthy. We’re super grateful that we have the resources to test this much to be able to play games.” 

The team has been the only sports team at Westmont without a single positive COVID-19 test, and the ladies hope to keep it that way. 

The Warriors will face Hope International University twice more this week. The winner of the most games within the two GSAC pods will advance to the NAIA National Championships.