Baseball in full swing: The start of the 2022 season

Jillian Hurin, Staff Writer

The start of the 2022 baseball season is fast approaching. Baseball is a highly anticipated sport at Westmont, and as we reflect on the last season, the athletes are aiming high in terms of their personal and team goals. 

Last year, the baseball team finished their season with a 30-22 record, with hopes of making it to the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) World Series. Although the team didn’t accomplish their goal, they’re looking to try once more.

When asked what excites him the most, Simon Reid, a fourth-year top-performing catcher, said: “this season will be fun. [We] are a young team with a ton of energy and talent.” This year, there are 12 freshmen on the team who are eager to play and will be amazing additions to the squad. Reid looks forward to competing with them on the field. 

In terms of personal goals, Reid wants to “get [his] team to the World Series,” claiming he’ll do whatever it takes. Considering last year’s record, it’s looking good for the team thus far. 

Similarly, Collin Wong, a second-year utility player, sees potential in the younger athletes and has no doubt they “will have the opportunity to step up and fill the gaps” created by a few injured players. He also looks forward to being out on the field with his teammates and supporting all of the baseball athletes in any way he can, especially after returning from a redshirt season last year. 

Third-year pitcher Eric Osuguera also commented on his personal goals: “I want to be able to pitch a full season for once since [his] senior year of high school.” Osuguera is recovering from a Tommy John surgery, which has proved to be a major setback for him. 

When asked about his goals for the team, Osuguera wants to take what the team learned when playing against a team like Georgia Gwinnett College — who they lost to in the last game of the 2021 season — and get fired up for their approaching season. Osuguera feels very confident that this year’s team is capable of playing and winning against the top teams, with the hopes of ultimately making it to the World Series. 

Westmont’s baseball team has their next home game on Saturday, Jan. 29 against Providence Christian. Westmont is excited to cheer on the baseball team throughout this season and hopes for a successful outcome.