A letter from the sports editor

Annika Bahnsen, Sports Editor

As an avid sports fan, this year in the world of sports has already been one of the more entertaining years. Still coming off a lot of COVID-19 confusion, the realm of sports has changed and, as we now realize, it will be ever-changing.

My goal this semester in writing about the world of sports is to showcase the magnitude of change. How has this evolution affected athletics? Professional athletes? Westmont? There is so much to explore and discuss regarding the sports we love as we close in on the second year of the pandemic.

This semester in the sports section of the “Horizon,” we will focus on a few different areas of Westmont that are pivotal to the success of our athletic programs, keeping in mind the above sentiments. 

We will first show this through the backbone of our teams: the seniors. This year’s group of seniors is especially unique in the history of Westmont.

During the second year of their collegiate careers, the COVID-19 pandemic entered the scene and canceled many, if not all, of their seasons.

The following year, not much went back to normal. Only a few games were played and, when they were allowed to compete, there were no fans, many COVID-19 tests, and a vastly different atmosphere.

Through all the adversity, this group of athletes still managed to represent Westmont with smiles on their faces. Not to mention, amidst all of the chaos, the women’s basketball team brought home a National Title. This group of seniors is special, and they deserve a bit more recognition!

The sports section will also focus on the role professional sports have on collegiate athletics. As evidenced with the examples of Colin Kaepernick, Naomi Osaka, or even with Aaron Rodgers, athletes are not afraid to use their platform to talk about global issues. What does this mean for a smaller school, like Westmont? How do we respond and apply it to the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA)? These are just a couple of questions that we could ask this semester and which I am hoping to investigate more. 

As always, we will bring our readers updates on the seasons of our amazing athletes! We would not have such a successful section without our athletes and I am always eager to learn more about the teams and the players individually. 

I am excited to see what we dive into this semester. Our writers are excited to share their findings and their passions regarding the world of sports. 

I thank all of the readers of “The Horizon” for your support and I hope you enjoy this semester! 

– Annika Bahnsen