Women’s basketball aims for a successful second half

Kacie Kwan, Staff Writer

Three weeks after winter break, Westmont students are finally settling into the full swing of the spring semester. As for the women’s basketball team, it’s as if they had no break at all. 

A little more than halfway through, the women Warriors continue to play hard and persevere through their five-month-long season.

With less than two months to go, the 2021 reigning national champions are “motivated and focused to win another National championship,” shared fourth-year point guard Stefanie Berberabe.

The women’s basketball team has held on to this determined motivation and diligent focus, which drove their most recent victory against Arizona Christian University, winning 99-57. Berberabe contributed several points, adding 15 points to the scoreboard while making plenty of assists to support her stand-out scoring teammates. Coach Kirsten Moore noted that the team “also had people come off the bench and contribute,” which may help the team over the next two months.  

With such high goals and a long road ahead, one wonders how the Westmont women’s basketball team is so gritty, yet grounded in their pursuit of success.

Coach Moore seems to know exactly what to say to her players to motivate and encourage them in just the right way: “play with freedom and joy.” By developing their character as individuals, Coach Moore instills in her players the confidence to know they not only have the talent but also the heart to win it all.

Wanting to end this year with a Golden State Athletic Conference (GSAC) tournament championship and a second National championship, Berberbare commits to her personal goals and inspires her teammates by demonstrating leadership and carrying herself as a woman of God. 

When asked what advice she would give to our readers, Berberbare states: “My words of wisdom are to do the work and never give up, and to surround yourself with people who celebrate your successes and believe in you.” 

The women are well on their way to finishing the season strong, and the Westmont student body is right behind them, every step of the way. 

The women’s basketball team will play next at The Master’s University, on Saturday, Jan. 29.