An update on Westmont’s women’s golf season

First-year+Charlie+Bloom+takes+a+swing+to+help+her+team+at+their+tournament.+

Brad Elliott

First-year Charlie Bloom takes a swing to help her team at their tournament.

Kacie Kwan, Staff Writer

You don’t see this team practicing on the track or out on Lovik field, but everyone knows the Westmont golf teams are in full swing when bags of golf clubs line up outside the Dining Commons. 

What some people may not know is that golf is a split season, meaning tournaments follow a couple of weeks after the start of the fall semester and are scheduled continuously throughout the spring. What keeps the team motivated throughout the eight-month span is the potential to progress with each competition. 

The team’s most recent tournament was this past Monday and Tuesday, March 29-30 at the San Diego Christian Spring Invitational at Singing Hills Golf Resort in El Cajon, California. As the cold and rainy weather just passed the players, the Warriors fought hard to maintain good standing throughout the tournament. Playing against eight other teams, the women shot a total score of 644, positioning them in fifth place.

Individually, third-year Kat Bevill finished 11th overall with a total score of 155. She shot a 76 on her second round, improving her score by three strokes from her first round. Additionally, first-year Charlie Bloom finished with a total score of 162, finishing 22nd overall. 

Looking ahead, Bloom and the rest of the team have set their eyes on the Golden State Athletic Conference (GSAC) tournament, which has been their primary motivator because it determines who qualifies for nationals. Competition is “proving to be quite good this year,” Bloom admitted, “We will see what happens!” 

Westmont will host the GSAC Golf Championships April 25-27 at the La Purisima golf course. La Purisima fits well for the GSAC championship because it “is brutal and not the most forgiving,” according to Bloom. 

The upcoming GSAC conference will be Bloom’s first conference at the collegiate level and it will be  an entirely new experience for her. After working hard for the past several years, playing for the Westmont Women’s golf team has been nothing short of a dream come true for Bloom. She continues her first season with fresh eyes and a willing, eager attitude, showing her true passion for the sport: “I am really looking forward to closing out the season with my teammates and just enjoying the competition.” 

We wish the best of luck to the Westmont women’s and men’s teams as they near the GSAC championships and nationals. Their next tournament will be hosted by Occidental College at Moorpark, next Monday, April 4 starting at 9 a.m. Go Warriors!