Senior Series: Samuel Tuscano

Jillian Hurin, Staff Writer

Senior soccer star Samuel Tuscano was born and raised in sunny San Clemente, California. This city, a popular beach destination located in southern Orange County, played a role in his upbringing as he remembers being an active child, surfing or playing in the water often. The culture of San Clemente also influenced Tuscano in a way that has permeated his many years of soccer. 

Tuscano began playing soccer at the young age of six. He was firm in his desire to play competitively, saying, “I knew I wanted to play soccer after high school because I love the sport so much, and still want to continue to play soccer — hopefully professionally — after college.”

The most influential person in Tuscano’s soccer career is Westmont’s assistant coach, John (Johnny) Whallon. Tuscano mentioned that “he was the one who recruited me to Westmont. He believed in my abilities and helped me improve as a player and grow as a person each year.” Having a strong support system, especially within Westmont’s soccer program, is a testament to the school’s athletic program wanting each and every athlete to succeed in both their sport and life as a Christian student. 

When seeking colleges where he could continue playing soccer after high school, Tuscano originally looked into much bigger schools. However, he said, “I chose Westmont because I wanted to play soccer at a school that had an expectation of winning championships, but also valued their players as individuals, as well.” 

It seems like Tuscano is extremely content with his choice to play for Westmont. When reflecting on his soccer career here, Tuscano emphasized the uniqueness of the program. He said, “something special about playing for Westmont is how much the coaching staff invests into each individual player. I would also say that the culture of the team is very special, as all four years I played at Westmont, I made great friendships and learned so much from older players.”

As Tuscano recalls some of his favorite moments being an athlete at Westmont, his most memorable moment was during his third year, when the team won the Golden State Athletic Conference (GSAC) tournament in Surprise, Arizona against Ottawa University. Tuscano assisted the game-winning goal in the 90th minute. The team additionally went undefeated in the regular season and were also GSAC champions that year.

There is no doubt that Tuscano’s efforts have contributed to the extreme success of Westmont’s soccer team. Samuel, Westmont is sad to see you go, but will support you in your future endeavors, as we hope to see you on the field playing professionally wherever the Lord takes you!