When faith leads the way: an introduction to new faculty member Dr. Song

Noah Nims

Dr. Guang Song, professor of computer science and mathematics at Westmont

Lexi McWilliams , Features Editor

Dr. Guang Song jumped aboard the Westmont faculty team this school year as a new computer science professor. His expertise, life experiences and journey of faith make him a great asset to the Westmont community.  

Growing up in China along with his two siblings, Song says he “had zero information about God.” Song was seeking a purpose and because he did not know God, he decided that taking time to understand nature seemed to be the most meaningful study. So, he studied physics while attending college in China.

At 24 years old, Song moved to Texas A&M University for his graduate masters in physics and his Ph.D. in computer science. While there, a church that was reaching out to international students invited Song to a Bible study group on campus. “Rain or shine, I went,” Song says. The hope that the Bible spoke of sparked curiosity in Song, so he asked many questions and tried to understand as much as he could. About one year later, Song became a Christian and says, “[he] had a hope and a joy that he never had before.” 

Song switched his major to computer science and started a career working in robotics when he began working towards his Ph.D. He specialized in path planning for robots so that they were able to move around in a structured way. Currently, Song researches computational biology in order to understand how a protein functions. 

Song previously worked at Iowa State University, but he remembers how “God moved his heart and he knew he needed to move.” Song believes Westmont is the place for him because ever since he became a Christian, “he has had a passion to share the Gospel with the next generation. I appreciate the opportunity here at Westmont to be with my students and share my faith. I can help them to become what God is calling them to become.” 

Song believes that the challenge of this generation is that it is difficult for people to think deeply and meaningfully. He says, “I desire that the young men and women of Westmont grow to be thinkers. We are so overwhelmed with information that we become too lazy to think, and we begin to think in a shallow way.” 

Song wants the Westmont community to live out in particular the message of Psalm 1:1-2 which says, “Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers.”