Rapid fire record reviews

Keegan Perez and Chandler Baker, Guest Writers

When Chandler Baker moved into our sophomore year dorm room and unpacked his vinyl copy of Hiatus Kaiyote’s “Mood Valiant,” I knew I’d found a twin flame. Since then, we’ve discussed writing rapid record reviews together for The Horizon to commend and recommend new music that’s worth paying attention to. October 2022 is a fitting month for our critical debut; it’s been chock-full of incredible releases, of which we’ve selected only a few.

“Being Funny In A Foreign Language”–The 1975

BFIAFL distills a lot of the ideas that Healy and The Gang have explored throughout their discography. Matty Healy has craftily dissected himself for our benefit, and the resulting polaroids are striking in their clarity, although a little inessential in some cases. George Daniel and super-producer Jack Antonoff have followed suit, wearing their appropriately disparate influences on their sleeves. You can anticipate that synthy “Genesis” sound with shimmering saxes and jangly guitars, but with a little more LCD Soundsystem and even some FINNEAS thrown in there. It might not be the dissertation that “Notes” was, but it’s an interesting journal to pry into.

“CHAOS NOW*”–Jean Dawson

Jean Dawson has a lot on his mind and “CHAOS NOW*” is his most exciting project yet. He personifies a sort of introspective angst that’s equal parts Odd Future and Smashing Pumpkins. The frantically adventurous production, guitar experimentation and versatile vocal delivery combine with Dawson’s raw songwriting to create something successfully transgressive and visionary. This album is terrific, and Dawson is worth our attention.

“Suave Pendiente” – Niños del Cerro

This indie rock album from Chilean quintet Niños del Cerro was made for those who aren’t yet feeling the cold bite of winter in the air. Backed by instrumentals ranging from raw to eclectic to dreamy, vocalist Simón Campusano draws lines between a past relationship and the frigidity of winter. Tracks like “Daniel” and “Frío Frío” are mesmerizing from start to finish. If the superb instrumentals don’t bring a tear to your eye, then the transfixing stories will. Believe me when I say this is an album of the year, even if you need to brush up on your Spanish before heading into it, you won’t be disappointed.

“The Car” – Arctic Monkeys

Perhaps the most prominent release of this month is Arctic Monkey’s seventh studio album “The Car.” This album is simultaneously a refinement of the sound realized on “Tranquility Base Hotel + Casino” and a complete departure from it. Brought to life by orchestra flourishes and chamber pop melodies, this is the Monkeys’ most glamorous album to date — pointing to inspiration from the likes of David Bowie, Elton John and even Jimi Hendrix (listen to “I Ain’t Quite Where I Think I Am” if you don’t know what I mean) at times. If you’re an old fan, still waiting for Alex Turner and company to turn ship and chase the angsty sound of their first two records, this album may not be for you. If you’re looking for the mature sound of a once-garage band who had the resolve to obstruct their egos and make their own sound, check out this new AM record “The Car.”