Students break away for Fall Formal

Formal reported the highest number of attendees in four years.

Tess O'Hern, Guest Writer

Westmont students took a break from their tests and studies to party hard at the Hilton Beachfront Resort last Friday night.

Many abandoned plans of popcorn and Disney Plus in order to go dance the night away with their peers, and eat churros and fried oreos.

Some students identified that there are two groups of people on the dance floor: the “moshers” and the “dancers.” One student, junior Brayden Lanphere defined the Westmont “mosh pit” as “a way to avoid your insecurities of not being able to dance.”

“People were dancing so hard that I got pushed into a table and knocked it over.”

-Nadya Wisham

At a few points, the dancing got a little physical even outside of the “mosh pit.” Nadya Wisham, a junior, explained that “people were dancing so hard that I got pushed into a table and knocked it over.”

Fortunately, there were no serious injuries recorded at the dance.

Some students chose not to attend, and a few sports teams were encouraged not to go to the dance due to the possibility of getting injured.

A junior on the basketball team who did choose to attend, Josiah Esselstrom, described Fall Formal as “a great time to hang out with friends and see people you don’t talk to often having a good time.”

According to junior Amber Nozzi, who was the Westmont Activities Council’s (WAC) leading team member for the event, over 600 people attended Fall Formal, which is the highest number of attendees in the past four years (based off of WAC’s statistics).

“I’m very happy with how everything turned out. I loved seeing everyone come together and have a great time on the dance floor,” said Nozzi.

For a number of international students, the Fall Formal experience was very different from what they are used to.

“The dance is ‘extremely different from dancing in Costa Rica … In the U.S. every song is different and has a different beat so you can’t get in a dancing rhythm.’”

-Andrés Quiros

“Back home in England all we listen to is EDM and it is usually just a crowd of people fist pumping,” said junior Tom Ridd.

Another international student, senior Andrés Quiros, said the dance is “extremely different from dancing in Costa Rica. In Costa Rica all the music has a similar beat so dancing is easy to keep up with. In the U.S. every song is different and has a different beat so you can’t get in a dancing rhythm.”

Whether or not you know all the words to “Truth Hurts” or you prefer salsa dancing, Fall Formal is a great place for students to dress up and come together for a good time. If you didn’t get the chance to make it to Fall Formal, there are more chances to dance at the President’s Ball or Spring Formal!

Clayton Cardinalli

Clayton Cardinalli