Women’s tennis competes against two non-GSAC teams

Keilani Mayo, Staff Writer

The women’s tennis team has kicked off their season facing two NCAA Division 1 teams. On Saturday, the Warriors went up against UC Irvine and Cal State Northridge. A strong appearance from senior captain Cade Pierson kick-started the season by defeating UC Irvine’s No. 1 single with scores of 6-4 and 6-2. The Warriors went 1-6 to UC Irvine, and later on in the day, unfortunately took a tough loss from the Matadors of Cal State Northridge going 0-7. 

Pierson mentions that the team “likes to schedule a lot of D1 teams in the start of the season to challenge themselves.” 

Another notable key player from the women’s team is sophomore Sidney Lowry who went into a three – set battle in number three singles. She lost to Jessica Tsukiji from UC Irvine. She lost 4-6 in the first set, and bounced back for set number two with a win of 6-3. She forced a third set matchup with Tsukiji and lost 4-10. 

The team has mixed up the previous season’s pairings, revealing new double pairings for this season.The Warriors showcased their talents and surprised their opponents with how well they were able to compete at a higher level of competition. 

The women’s team “dictated points and played the way they wanted to play” in order to prove their names and make Westmont known, according to Pierson. Very impressed with how their team played, Pierson says they “maintained a high level of poise and sportsmanship like we always strive to do.”  

Building on top of the legacy that the women’s team has made for themselves the past couple of years, they are looking forward to this season with high hopes, and their standards high. Not only are they ranked No. 14 in the NAIA Preseason Coaches’ Poll, but they are also projected to be GSAC Champions again. 

The goals are high for the Warriors in hopes to win another GSAC Title in conference and tournament play. Pierson says “I think we have a really great season ahead of us and I’m very excited for what’s to come. It’s time to just keep growing from here.” 

The Warriors don’t stop their high-level competition with their two losses against UC Irvine and Cal State Northridge. In the upcoming weeks, they have matchups against multiple NCAA Division 2 teams and another Division 1 team. They take on Cal State Los Angeles for an exhibition match on Jan. 31, and on Feb. 4, they play the Eagles of Biola. Other tough non-GSAC opponents the Warriors face this season include, University of Redlands, UC Riverside, Abilene Christian University, Fresno Pacific, and Concordia University (Irvine).