Women’s basketball gains two GSAC wins

Hunter Sipe, Staff Writer

Coming off their first league loss, the women’s basketball team came into their next pair of games with a new sense of determination and tenacity. On Thursday, they squared off against Hope International University in conference play. 

After swapping buckets back and forth, the Warriors led after the first quarter with a score of 18-15. The score margin was kept close throughout the beginning, but the Warriors went on a scoring frenzy closer to the end of the half, pushing their lead to 40-23. 

With a 17 point lead to start the second half, the Warriors came out calm and poised to enter the final portion of the game. The Warriors wanted to put the game out of reach, and after a 3-pointer from Senior Maud Ranger, the Warriors did just that by extending their lead by 25. Westmont defeated Hope by a score of 59-36. 

Junior Lauren Tsenushi led all scorers with 16, and Ranger contributed 11 points combined with a whopping 19 rebounds. 

After the win, Tsenushi reflected on the win after coming off their first league loss by saying “I am really grateful for every chance we get to step on the court together. We have been through a lot this year and I am looking forward to see us capitalize on our opportunities and to make sure we dont take days for granted. Our first league loss was tough because we fought so hard, but it is just another lesson to be learned that will keep us hungry for the games to follow.”

After a big win against Hope, the Warriors travelled to San Diego Christian University on Saturday. They came into the game confident and hungry to finish out the first round of league play.

As the first quarter began, the Warriors came out with previously unseen energy. They were absolutely lights-out on the offensive side, and San Diego Christian could not get past the defense to even get a decent look at scoring. With a score of 34-6 heading into the second, the Warriors did not want to let off the gas pedal, even with a comfortable lead. 

The second half was all Westmont. After a 3-pointer by Tsenushi, and then a 3-pointer from sophomore Caitlin Larson, the Warriors kept their lead at 58-41, and were looking to finish them off in the fourth quarter. The Warriors came out victorious, with the final score being 75 to 48. 

With the first round of league play coming to an end, your Westmont Warriors sit at second place in the GSAC, with a league record of eight and one.

Up next, the Warriors return to the Murch to play Arizona Christian on Thursday, Jan. 30 at 5:30 p.m.