Music department presents spring faculty recital

Alexa Highsmith, Staff Writer

The Westmont Music Department presents an exemplary demonstration of faculty talent every semester in a lineup of passionate pieces. This spring semester has proven no different, as 10 faculty members gathered to create beautiful music together in Deane Chapel on Friday night, Jan. 24. With a slight variation in performers from the fall to spring semester, the pieces chosen were just as powerful and moving as expected. 

The program opened with the “Allegro spiritoso” from Wind Quartet No. 5 by Gioachino Rossini, performed by the Sonos Wind Quartet. The lively ensemble included Andrea di Maggio on flute, Joanne Kim on clarinet, Andy Radford on bassoon, and John Mason on French Horn. Sonos often performs for the faculty recitals, but on occasion they also hold concerts in Deane Chapel featuring just the four members of the quartet. 

Following the quartet was an enamoring performance by tenor Bryan Lane, who joined the Music Department Faculty in the fall semester of 2019. Accompanied by Erin Bronski-Evans, Lane delivered a powerful “Marechiare” and tender “Ideale,” both composed by Francesco Paolo Tolsti. 

The third performance included solo oboe (Adele Rockley) with piano accompaniment (Eric Valinsky). Rockley presented a lovely anecdote preceding the piece, delving into the history of Maurice Ravel’s attempt to win a contest in a paper. The piece is entitled “Sonatine pour hautbois & piano,” including three movements: the Modere, Mouvement de Menuet, and Anime. 

Andrea di Maggio returned to the stage for another performance: this time accompanied by her husband, Neil di Maggio, on piano. Together they performed “Ballade Op. 288” by Carl Reinecke. 

The second to last piece is well-known and loved amongst classical violinists. Emily Sommerman soulfully performed Alexander Glazunov’s Meditation from “Thais,” accompanied by pianist Matthew Roy. 

Closing the program, Neil di Maggio made his second appearance, this time performing solo piano. His interpretation of Brahms’ “Rhapsody in E flat Major Op. 119,” No. 4 left the audience breathless, in awe of both his talent and of the caliber of the rest of the faculty. 

With such well-acclaimed performers, the Music Department hopes to draw more and more listeners in to each new recital. The future performances will only be more captivating, more ethereal, and more imperative to the appreciator of classical music.