A letter from the Editor

Emily Washburn

Dear Westmont students,

My name is Emily Washburn. I am a sophomore at Westmont and The Horizon’s new Editor-in-Chief! For those of you who don’t know me, I am most easily recognized for my love of grammar and my inability to carry a stack of papers to a designated location without dropping at least 20 of them. Pleased to make your acquaintance!

In all seriousness, I am honored to be writing today as a servant of you, the student body, and the Westmont community as a whole. I started writing for The Horizon the day I started my freshman classes, and, I have to say, I was terrified. I was struck that day, and every day since, by the immense responsibility of a student paper to inform, to support, and to reflect the community it represents. To be here now, helping to make The Horizon the best it can be for the college that I love, is as amazing as it is surreal.

And, I can now say … I am still terrified. Good journalism is hard, and sometimes intimidating, work. It takes a dedicated and talented team and countless hours to make the mission of The Horizon a reality. Luckily for you, The Horizon’s editorial staff, and yours truly, are dedicated to improving the way Westmont gets it’s news. Allow me to share some of our dreams and aspirations.

This semester, the name of the game is community engagement. The Horizon is a paper for students, by students, and we want to see everyone get involved. Take a look at our Instagram page and our website for ways to comment, click, and engage directly with published stories. Come to chapel on Wednesdays to get the latest and greatest Horizon paper, complete with live website updates, and don’t forget to keep your eye out for important stories. Any effort at engagement is welcome, and we are receiving story tips and conversation starters through our Instagram comments and our email. By engaging more with the community we profess to serve, we hope to make The Horizon a more efficient and relevant resource. 

I am excited to work with you this semester to improve and perfect the paper I love. Thank you for the opportunity, for your continued readership, and your support during this great journalistic foray.

Emily

P.S — follow us on Instagram @westmonthorizon

Ethan Vaughn
Ethan Vaughn