Tennis season is in full swing

Keilani Mayo, Staff Writer

Westmont’s men’s and women’s tennis teams went up against NCAA Division 1

and Division 2 teams this past week to continue the start of their season.

The men’s team started off their season with a tough loss against Biola University with a

score of 0-7. The Warriors have a young squad, holding a roster with one upperclassmen,

junior Matt Alleman, and six underclassmen. 

Out of the six underclassmen, sophomore transfer Abraham Pauta was one of the few on the team to come close to winning a match. Pauta forced a very close tiebreaker at number six against Quentin Lau. The third set ended with a close score of 7-10. Pauta lost the first set with a shutout score of 0-6 but came back in the second set winning 6-3.

Against University of Redlands, freshman Zachary Prince was the only Warrior

to put up a win for the men’s team. He defeated Thomas Reznik at the number two singles spot with a score of 6-3 in both sets. The men’s team looks forward to starting conference play starting next week on Feb. 15.

For the women’s team, their drive for leveling up their competition continued as they played UC Riverside and Biola University. This past Wednesday, the Warriors grabbed their first win of the season, upsetting the Biola Eagles with a score of 4-2.

The Warriors made their mark beating a former team in the Golden State Athletic Conference (GSAC), with strong performances from Cade Pierson and Emily Peterson in

doubles play and in singles play.

Sidney Lowry and Christine Hemry both won their matches at singles and Rachal

Jackson’s match as No. 3 was left unfinished due to an overall clinch of a match, securing

the Warriors’ team win.

Senior captain Pierson said this win “was a decisive and convincing win by our girls

and a great display of our fight and grit as a team.”

Against UC Riverside, the Warriors had another great day of tennis but fell to the

Highlanders with a score of 1-6. The only win for the Warriors was from Pierson, who defeated another Division I opponent. She defeated the Highlander’s Natalie Shamma at the singles number one spot with scores of 6-2, 5-7, and 10-8 in the tiebreaker for the win.

Pierson commented regarding the Riverside match that “every single girl came out

with some important lessons learned and some very specific areas that they want to improve and work on before we start conference match play this next week.”

With that, the Warriors are excited for the future and to start conference play with

their newly gained knowledge and experience through the past couple of matches.