Mitch Vance Appointed Chair for Board of Advisors

Lawrence Eady, Staff Writer

This spring, Westmont appointed a new chair for its team of Board of Advisors. On Thursday, Mitch Vance of Newport Beach was officially announced as the replacement for Peter Thorrington, who was Chair of the Board since 2014. The spring season marks the beginning of Vance’s first two-year term, with the potential for more down the road.

Vance has served with Westmont on multiple boards and committees for over 20 years now. He served on the Westmont Foundation, chaired the Board of Advisors, and has even been a board member on the Board of Trustees since 2013, during which time he worked in multiple venues, including the group’s executive, finance, investment, and building and grounds committees.

In an article on Noozhawk, writer Scott Craig interviewed Gayle Beebe regarding Vance’s new appointment. “We’re truly blessed to have such a gifted leader head the board,” said Dr. Beebe. “Mitch has played a key role as a trustee, and he demonstrated his strong leadership skills when he led the Board of Advisors.” Beebe also later praised Vance for his work with the Board of Trustees development committee as well as his help in raising financial support for Westmont. 

Vance has an expansive history in the business world, having co-founded the successful investment company TGV Partners. Other positions that he has held include general partner for investment company Pacific Mezzanine Investors as well as business associate for private equity investment firm Levine, Tessler, Leichtman & Co. Vance did not attend Westmont, but instead earned a degree from the University of Oregon in 1985. It was not until after he was married to alumni Leslie Eaton Vance (’85) that he first visited our campus.

Leslie Eaton Vance is the daughter of Trustee Emeritus David Eaton and his wife, Carol Eaton, whose names one might recognize from the Eaton Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation at Westmont college. Mitch and Leslie Vance now live in Newport Beach and have three grown children, one of whom, Claire Vance, graduated from Westmont in 2016. The timing of the appointment, as everyone at Westmont (and in the world) knows, could not have come at a more interesting time. Vance is aware of the struggles Westmont is facing, and is determined to look upon them with optimism. “Westmont has overcome adversity and disasters in the past, and always emerged better than ever,” Vance said in the same interview on Noozhawk. “I’m confident we’ll continue to succeed.”