Westmont in the world: Chet Kammerer

Annika Bahnsen, Staff Writer

Over the years, members of Westmont’s community have reached beyond campus borders and demonstrated exemplary leadership in an array of professions. In the sports world, Chet Kammerer has done just this. Kammerer served as the head coach for Westmont’s men’s basketball team for several years and is now the Miami Heat’s Senior Advisor of Basketball Operations. 

The Miami Heat are currently in the middle of the championship series against the Los Angeles Lakers. The Heat were underdogs and not necessarily favored to advance as far as they did this season, but they proved resilient. 

Kammerer was the head coach for Westmont men’s basketball team for 17 years (1975 – 1992) with a record of 357-158, becoming the program’s top coach in regards to the highest winning percentage (.693).”

They made major strides in the “NBA bubble” and managed to squeeze their way through the playoffs to compete in the championship series — a present-day Cinderella story. Even though the players all contributed to this winning season, they had strong leadership that came from their administration, including Chet Kammerer. 

Kammerer was the head coach for Westmont men’s basketball team for 17 years (1975 – 1992) with a record of 357-158, becoming the program’s top coach in regards to the highest winning percentage (.693). He led the Warriors to the national semifinals for the first time in program history during the 1983-84 season. Additionally, in the same year, he earned the Charles A. Kriegel Award for Sportsmanship. Due to his many wins and coaching successes, Kammerer was inducted into the NAIA Hall of Fame in 2000 as well as the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame in 2019. 

His leadership in the basketball world is very respected and has continued throughout the many different positions he has taken on. In accordance with all of these amazing contributions to the Westmont world, Westmont named the court inside Murchison Gymnasium after Kammerer in December 2008. 

Alongside his father, Chad Kammerer, his son, has a legacy for himself. He also helped advance the name of the Westmont men’s basketball team. Chad, who played for his dad at Westmont from 1987-1990, earned All-Golden State Athletic Conference (GSAC) honors for the Warriors in 1990-91 and led the team in many different areas, such as assists and three-point make percentages. Following in his father’s footsteps, Chad works for the Miami Heat as an Advanced Scout and as the team’s Director of NBA Scouting. 

This father-son duo has made major advancements to the Miami team when it comes to the scouting process for new players. One of the most notable additions that Chad Kammerer helped capture for the Heat was Duncan Robinson, who is currently averaging 11 points and a little under 28 minutes per game. Robinson’s skill has been a huge factor in the Heat’s successes so far.

Chet Kammerer has shown his achievements through his leadership in the basketball world and is a great example of taking Westmont’s community to others in the professional world.