Students give their thoughts on Four Day’s cancellation

Grace Williams, Staff Writer

Although the email did not initially ring any warning bells for some, the announcement of four-day’s cancellation took Westmont parody Instagram pages by storm. The parody account “thebeebester” and Westmont meme page “blessedmont” posted polls and student opinions, many of which expressed opposition to the announcement. 

On Sept. 30, Vice President for Student Life Edee Schulze sent out an email claiming that the decision indicated a preference for the cancellation. However, some students felt like their voices had not been heard.  

First-year student Candace An said that she voted to keep the four-day fall break as a time to relax and go back home to see family, despite not knowing what was in store for a semester at Westmont.

“I was really shocked and a little disappointed when I found out we didn’t have the four-day weekend. I was planning on taking a break and going home for a bit, and it messed up some of those plans,” An said. “Looking back on it now, though, I am excited for the longer break for Thanksgiving. Not only that, but some of my professors ended up giving us less work on those days anyway, so it all worked out.”

That’s been the hardest thing of all of this, every day can merge into one repetition of isolation, lack of motivation, and a detached stress. ”

— TERREL ARMSTRONG

After receiving the initial email from Shulze announcing the vote, third-year Terrel Armstrong said he saw it as a foreshadowing of the impending cancellation. 

“My initial reaction to the four-day cancellation was something of a resigned acceptance. We don’t have a ton of visibility into admin’s process and thinking, which makes sense,” Armstrong said. “In retrospect, I feel like the survey email was just a way of notifying us ahead of time about what was going to happen.”

As someone who voted to keep the four-day break, An said she was surprised to see the backlash against freshmen, whom many thought were responsible for the cancellation. 

“I was really surprised by the upperclassmen reaction to the cancellation of the four-day weekend. On Instagram especially, they seemed to blame it on the freshmen,” An said. “Everyone had a say in those results, not just us, but I get that it’s a funny thing to blame the freshmen for stuff.”

Even with the cancellation, Armstrong said he found solace in his professors’ willingness to give students a bit of a break during the time they would have had off. 

“[Having the four-day break] wouldn’t have changed a ton for me, school is just going along at the same old pace. I’m more worried about students that feel trapped in their rooms, in their head, without good enough social assertion to reach out to even their own friends,” Armstrong said. 

“That’s been the hardest thing of all of this, every day can merge into one repetition of isolation, lack of motivation, and a detached stress. The four-day could have helped with that for students who needed time with family or even to get out of their own heads.”