Six comfort-watches to stream on Netflix

Eva Moschitto, Staff Writer

With a seemingly endless array of exams and the stresses of a turbulent election week, Westmont students may find themselves in a general state of anxiety. Thankfully, Netflix has a variety of shows to help you unwind and relax, whether you need something to binge before bed or a few familiar episodes to distract you from obsessively checking The New York Times.

For when you need to be occupied by someone else’s drama for once:

Jane the Virgin

Almost the entire 'Jane the Virgin' cast is team Michael, apparently | EW.com
(The CW)

Feeling like your life has taken some unexpected turns? You’re not alone. This telenovela-inspired series invites you to follow the eager and charismatic Jane Villanueva after a surprise virgin pregnancy leads to a slew of complications.

For when you’re thinking a monarchy might simplify things:

The Crown

Review: The Crown - Season 3 - Forge
(Netflix)

Replete with wit, drama and award-winning acting, “The Crown” is a visual delight and history lesson all in one! Don’t let its intellectual value deter you — the show is laced with romance, humor and moral dilemmas, making it captivating, stimulating and anything but dry.

For when being British is starting to sound appealing:

The Great British Bake-Off

The Great British Bake Off - How to Watch on Mobile | HungryForever Food Blog
(BBC)

Cakes, puddings and pasties, oh my! Come for the contestants’ effervescent cheeriness, stay for the ridiculously ornate gingerbread houses. Whether you’re new to GBBO or a returning fan, this colorful competition is sure to spark some joy.

For when you need someone whose problems are pettier than yours:

Schitt’s Creek

The Quarantine Stream: 'Schitt's Creek' Will Make You a Better Person – /Film
(CBC Television)

With its perfect portrayal of a dysfunctional family and offbeat humor, it’s no wonder “Schitt’s Creek” swept the Emmys this year. One of Netflix’s buzziest shows, “Schitt’s Creek” is a reminder that there is humor to be found and family bonding to be had even in less-than-ideal situations.

For when you’re missing Leslie Knope’s fearless optimism:

New Girl

Watch Full Episodes of the Final Season | New Girl on FOX
(Fox)

We know you might have been feeling fragile ever since “Parks and Rec” was taken off Netflix. We have, too. But never fear: Jessica Day is still here! While we love her Knope-ish faith in humanity, we shouldn’t forget about her endearingly quirky gang, who are sure to shower your life with some much-appreciated humor.

For when you’re starting to think your life needs a makeover:

Queer Eye

Queer Eye's' New Fab Five Talks Connecting with Makeover Subjects - Variety
(Netflix)

This fabulous fan-favorite gives viewers all of the satisfaction of a wardrobe upgrade without the guilt of further depleting their rapidly dwindling savings. Call it a college miracle!