Spotify Wrapped holds a mirror to your musical 2020

Spotify

Katherine Smith, Staff Writer

It’s finally that time of the year, everyone. No, I’m not talking about Christmas or the New Year. No, I’m talking about the holiday every avid music listener eagerly awaits. As the opening words of Spotify’s 2020 Wrapped description state, “The longest year ever may not be over yet, but your Wrapped is finally here.”

In the span of just a few years, Spotify’s Wrapped experience has become a time-honored tradition that marks both the end of a year of listening and the start of the holiday season. The specifics vary each year, but there are some aspects that have remained consistent. The experience includes a user’s own top five artists, top five songs and top genre, which provide an initial basis for the wrap. Other features have included decade stats, “ones that got away,” and of course, minutes streamed.

My favorite part of Spotify wrapped this year was getting a rundown of how many times I listened to my favorite song —a lot — and how many minutes of music I listened to!”

— Siena Keck

2020 has provided an interactive twist, where, in the “presentation,” users participate in a guessing game to try and guess some of their statistics. This year’s features include new artists discovered, “pioneer” songs or ones listened to before it hit 50,000 streams, most popular throwback genre, and further analysis about the top songs and artists.

The “minutes listened” analysis is always a crowd favorite, as we are able to recap what percentage of one’s year was spent listening to music. Sophomore Siena Keck, with about 35,000 minutes of listening this year, recounted how “my favorite part of Spotify wrapped this year was getting a rundown of how many times I listened to my favorite song —a lot — and how many minutes of music I listened to!”

The elicited nostalgia-driven responses are common, as we are reminded of old favorites in the personalized “Top 100” playlist that each user receives, highlighting their top-played one hundred songs from the year. Sophomore Sydney Azzarello enjoys this playlist as “usually it’ll be a mix of stuff from earlier in the year and it’s fun to remember what I used to [listen to] frequently.”

Of course, the Wrapped has a unique form of brutal honesty and exposes people for what they really listen to. Along with many of us, Keck thinks, “It is a good indicator of your top artists, but maybe not so much for your top songs — although maybe I just don’t want to admit it’s all accurate!” Whether it’s your favorite early 2000s hype song that is just right for blasting on Mountain Drive, or the perfect shower song for when you’re feeling melancholic, these favorites always seem to sneak into the top five and expose your true colors to the world.

Nostalgia, excitement, embarrassment or surprise, the 2020 Spotify Wrapped feature was indeed a joyful way to kick off the holiday season and something to look forward to in the hearts of many users.