“WandaVision” a bold new step for the M.C.U.

Raymond Vasquez, Staff Writer

SPOILER WARNING AHEAD! READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Whether it was the wacky characters, those eerie commercials, or the seemingly out-of-nowhere glitches in an otherwise “perfect” world, the decade-jumping Marvel show “WandaVision” enthralled watchers every second it was on air. Following two Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) characters that had been formerly relegated to the background, Wanda Maximoff and The Vision, this Disney+ exclusive showed the tragic story of a love that would never die.

The show also features the ascension of arguably the most powerful character ever introduced into the MCU framework: the Scarlet Witch. The question fans have now, other than how to get the “Agatha All Along” song out of their heads, is what “WandaVision” means for the MCU moving forward.

Episode one was our introduction into the life of newlyweds Wanda Maximoff and The Vision in a 1950s setting. However, what starts as an innocent black-and-white television story of a husband and wife and a forgotten special event ends with the first glimpse of the cracks in the experience that we are watching. As the story progresses to the 1960s, Wanda and Vision attempt to blend into their environment, putting on a magic act in their community talent show, and Wanda magically becomes pregnant by the end of the episode.

As the story moves into episode three and into the 1970s, Wanda is only hours away from giving birth and her pregnancy fritzes her powers as she and Vision prepare for the accelerated delivery of twin boys named Billy and Tommy.

Episode four takes a present-day turn, transporting us into the life of Captain Monica Rambeau, whom we last saw in “Captain Marvel” as a little girl, as she now works for the Sentient Weapon Observation and Response Division (S.W.O.R.D.). We watch as she starts to investigate the anomaly known as “The Hex,” finding out how she got pulled into Wanda’s reality show.

Back in The Hex for a 1980s-set episode five, Wanda addresses Vision’s worries as he grows suspicious of the neighbors’ strange behavior. Eventually, Vision finds out what is really happening in Westview, before we find ourselves meeting, or perhaps re-meeting, a “familiar” face.

Episode six takes us to a spooktacular 1990s-themed special, in which disturbances on Halloween separate Wanda from Vision, who is looking into anomalous activity in Westview, and end in a dramatic confrontation and the expansion of a new reality.

As the fourth wall starts to break in a 2000s setting, episode seven shows Monica plotting her return to The Hex, Wanda navigating unsettling complications in her powers, and Vision forming new alliances with a particular astrophysicist, ending in the dramatic reveal of a potential new foe. With the reveal of Salem witch Agatha Harkness, Wanda embarks on a troubling journey revisiting her past for insight into her present and future and finally finds out the truth of who she is: the Scarlet Witch!

With the walls starting to close in, the events of WandaVision come to a head in the series finale. We end up with double Vision as Wanda and Agatha fight in a spectacular finale, where the Scarlet Witch traps her enemy, releases her hold on her fantasy, and closes The Hex, embracing her destiny and her potential.

With the show finally over, the implications for the future of the MCU are more in question now than ever before. Has “WandaVision” opened up the multiverse? Will the Scarlet Witch truly destroy the world? What will happen with the White Vision? Why did Wanda hear her children in the post-credit scene? And what is going to happen in “Doctor Strange innto the Multiverse of Madness”?

After her battle with Agatha Harkness, Wanda seems to embrace her new future as the Scarlet Witch. “WandaVision,” the story of a woman grieving the loss of everything and everyone she ever loved, ends with a touching farewell, with a hint of a “see you again.” During the show’s post-credit scene, a reclusive Wanda studies the Darkhold, the ancient volume of dark magic Agatha has been using all season. As she grows into her chaos magic, will Wanda become a force for good on a scale never-before-seen in the MCU, or will she be something much, much darker?

While fans can’t say for sure what will happen, viewers will never cease to theorize about future possibilities. “WandaVision” had many theories surrounding it, due in large part to its very mysterious nature. Now that the show has ended, many of the more outlandish theories have been firmly debunked, such as the idea of the Fantastic Four and X-Men coming to play, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t fun to look into the theories of a fellow Westmont student.

According to fourth-year Craig Odenwald, “the mysterious aerospace engineer was going to be surprising,” referencing the beekeeper that appears in episode two, but that turned out not to be the case, as it was a random scientist who will most likely never again resurface. Another popular theory Odenwald hoped for was the idea that Benedict Cumberbatch’s Doctor Stephen Strange would make a big cameo, but that was never to be, due in large part to the pandemic and Cumberbatch being stuck in New Zealand for the filming of “Doctor Strange 2.”

Regardless of the theories that swirled around, “WandaVision” truly was a show unlike any other. According to Odenwald, the show “started out with some really clever twists” and “brought with it twice the heart for a finale that I ultimately found satisfying.” Whether you were a weekly midnight watcher of “WandaVision” or someone that prefers the company of the big screen rather than the small screen, everyone can agree on the excitement for the future Marvel Cinematic Universe phases, as well as the love for one particular magic-trick-loving FBI agent.

So, to all the fans of “WandaVision,” Please Stand By!