Lawrence Eady joins Westmont Activities Council as new director

Raymond Vasquez, Guest Writer

From student to alum to the new Westmont Activities Council (WAC) director, 24-year-old Lawrence Eady has made his mark as a proud Warrior. Born and raised in Newbury Park, CA, Eady attended community college for two years and then transferred to Westmont College. During his time at Westmont, Eady worked on the Potter’s Clay core team and now describes his college experience as “incredible and really formative.”

Although new at heading a Westmont organization, Eady looks forward to what WAC will accomplish. With a love for gatherings and event planning, Eady is excited to put on more community-based events. “When you are in class with someone, you get to bond over the shared experience of being in a class, but a community-based event is different,” said Eady. “You are in a more relaxed environment and get to know people more in a way where their guards are down more. In those moments, you can really connect with somebody.”

Even in his excitement, Eady looks toward personal and organizational improvement. His team has a number of exciting events planned for the student body, including the recent bingo night and Page Hall movie night featuring “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.” While he couldn’t specify the upcoming events at the time due to details still being worked out, Eady teased that “there are so many fun and new events coming up.” 

Eady also encouraged students to get involved with WAC, mainly through its Instagram, @westmontactivitiescouncil. The organization posts regularly about upcoming events and offers a volunteer sheet so students can get involved. Additionally, Eady urged the student body to make suggestions for new events. “We want to hear from the students, so let us know what you want and we can try to make it happen.”

Finally, as a word of assurance to the student body about both COVID-19 concerns and student participation, Eady commented the following: “I appreciate that people are conscious about COVID-19, and we take it seriously as well … we work closely with the guidelines to protect everyone. As for those who are nervous about events, I had social anxiety growing up and going to an event and meeting new people was always really hard.”

Eady emphasized WAC’s commitment to creating comfortable, small-group environments. He continued, “I would encourage people to take a step out because, in my experience, Westmont people are very inclusive and want to meet new people. Even though it is hard, take that step and take the risk. You might be really thankful that you did.”