Studio 1:27

Back to Article
Back to Article

Studio 1:27

Wheaton graduate and faculty member, Stevener Gaskin, shares his own stories with Westmont last Friday.

Jenn Ikeda

Jenn Ikeda

Jenn Ikeda

Sam Wetzel, Guest Writer

Last Wednesday, Stevener Gaskin and his latest creative development, Studio 1:27, came to Westmont to share his passion for storytelling. 

Gaskin, a Wheaton graduate and current faculty member at Wheaton, has a passion for sharing his own story and hearing other people’s stories in order to foster unity and a real connection between people. 

On Oct. 30, Gaskin shared a story of hope, redemption, and love in chapel. He talked about his unique life story and his take on diversity. 

He brought a powerful message to the Westmont community and offered opportunities to support him after the chapel by showing up to Studio 1:27 and coming to his show in the GLC. 

For those who chose to come to his event, there was an opportunity to share a story of a time someone listened to you very well. This relatable prompt provided a great means for conversation. 

In the studio, Tim Miller, the Armington Resident Director, was there to facilitate the whole experience. 

Each participant was able to share their story in whatever way they wanted, and there was no pressure to perform, given the Studio 1:27 team’s ability to edit the recordings. 

Julianne Jimenez, a second-year Westmont student, had much to say about her personal experience with the event. 

“I shared a memory of a professor at my community college,” she said. The audience at the event “[took] time to listen to my thoughts and questions about the course [she was taking at the time] and also about my life and struggles.” 

Jimenez shared that she felt “seen and known,” as the professor helped her grow “in a safe space.” She was happy to be involved with Studio 1:27 because she was prompted to reflect on a time she considers a gift. 

It also made her think about how she could listen more actively and intentionally when people are sharing themselves. 

She remarked: “It is amazing how simple it is to listen and how meaningful and powerful it is in making people feel seen.”  

Jacob Noyes, a second-year, said that he “really appreciated how [Studio 1:27] asked a thoughtful question, listened intently, and genuinely promoted opening up. They impacted the student body and culture of Westmont by bringing in a new side of communication and hearing from students.” 

The event brought new perspectives to many by the sharing of personal stories. It was a safe opportunity for the attendees to listen attentively and promote unity in conversation.