Little Alex’s faces November foreclosure

Ethan Vaughan

Little Alex’s set to close on Nov. 22

Kylie Dickinson, Staff Writer

Coast Village Road recently lost several restaurants that could no longer afford to stay in business due to the pandemic. Among these is the nearby Mexican restaurant Little Alex’s, which in early October announced its plans to close.   

After almost 33 years in business, the popular restaurant will leave Montecito Country Mart, the shopping center where Vons is located, on Nov. 22. 

Since 1989, Little Alex’s has been a place for the Montecito community to bond over chips and salsa. It has served breakfast, lunch and dinner and was a favorite among Westmont students, Santa Barbara residents and Montecito locals. 

“We are very sad about the closure and are hoping to relocate, but we are not sure where to yet,” owner Lynette Briner said. “We, of course, didn’t want to leave the community. We fought hard to stay afloat through COVID, but ultimately the landlord asked us to leave.”

When Westmont students Grace Vanden Heuvel and Abby Fisher first heard of the foreclosure, they stated, “We are really bummed to see this place go. It was always such an easy place to get a cheap meal and a fun place to hang out with friends.” 

Moreover, on Sept. 17, the community of Montecito said its goodbyes to Cava, a Mexican bar and grill located on Coast Village Road. The popular restaurant fought hard through the COVID-19 pandemic but, in the end, had to shut down.

With yet another restaurant closing, locals express their concern for the struggling area. Professor Greg Spencer said, “I was not a frequent customer at Little Alex’s, but I am concerned with the Beverly-Hillsification of Coast Village Road. Soon, there will be no stores or restaurants left for the middle class. I think this is sad.” 

The future of Coast Village Road is uncertain as the pandemic continues to take its toll on local businesses and restaurants.