Sharing the crown

Kiani Hildebrandt, Staff Writer

The No. 8 women’s soccer team had an unforgettable weekend. The Warriors tallied two more wins, both scores of 6-0, improving their impressive record making to 13-2-1 overall and 7-1 in the Golden State Athletic Conference (GSAC). The women’s team finished the regular season as co-conference regular season champions and now advance into the GSAC Tournament.

On Thursday, the women’s team beat OUAZ 6-0 to turn a three-way tie for first place in the conference into a two-way tie. Katie Stella scored two goals within the first 15 minutes of the game to set the tone for the solid shut out for the Warriors. Both Berthoud sisters, Maddi and Izzy, scored a goal as well as Bri Johnson and Chase Sprink.

On Saturday, the fantastic four seniors were honored for their last regular season home game among family, friends, and fans. Maddi Berthoud, Katelyn Merrell, Kira Nemeth, and Brooke Porter are the final four of the senior class. In 2016, this class came in with eight freshman. Since then, that number has slowly dwindled down, leaving these four still standing. Goalkeeper Gabi Haw said, “[The seniors] exude joy, silliness, and the heart of God.”

Quickly within the first half, Porter had an amazing assist to Nemeth. When she saw Nemeth heading up the left side line, Porter threaded a ball through the defense. Nemeth had enough room to run, beat the defense, and take a shot on goal, which soared to the back corner of the net. As cheers roared from the crowd, smiles broke across the seniors’ faces. They knew that it was their moment. Johnson scored twice, while Izzy Berthoud, Valerie Swisher, and Reese Davidson each scored one, resulting in a 6-0 victory against Arizona Christian.

With the win on Saturday, the Warriors clinched a share of the GSAC regular season title with the Vanguard Lions. Their previous win over the Lions, 3-0, gives the Warriors the top seed going into the conference tournament and an important bye in the first round. Westmont will host the semifinals and the finals at Thorrington Field to see who receives the conference’s automatic bid to the NAIA National Tournament.

“From here on out it is ride or die,” said Porter. “We win or we are out. So we can’t become complacent and content with what we’ve accomplished thus far. We must keep grinding  and taking things one game at a time. If we stick to our game plan we can go far this postseason.”