Westmont hosts Halloween festivities

Kylie Dickinson, Staff Writer

Kicking off the Halloween festivities on Thursday, Oct. 28, Van Kampen Hall and Emerson Hall co-hosted an event called HauntMont. Students had the opportunity to celebrate the beginning of “Halloweekend” by dressing up and communing with friends. 

The event boasted a best-dressed costume contest, free fall food like apple cider and popcorn, and a pumpkin carving contest. Students relieved some mid-week stress by throwing a whipped cream pie at the RAs whose sections fundraised the most money for the dorm during the event, including Jonny Reitinger and Jesse Makuakane from VK.

Westmont’s second Halloween bash fell on Oct. 30, the night before the holiday. The Westmont Activities Council (WAC)-run event, called Spook-Fest, allowed students the opportunity to dance to music on Kerrwood Lawn and carve pumpkins. WAC served spooky mocktail drinks and plenty of candy.

Coco Lagiss, WAC coordinator and Spook-Fest planner, commented, “I took on the planning of this event because I wanted to provide a really fun and active event for students who want to celebrate Halloween but aren’t sure what to do or where to go!” 

Lagiss acknowledged the tension some students feel when faced with making Halloween plans. “I believe that it’s a sentiment among many Westmont students that they feel too old to go trick-or-treating but also feel perhaps uncomfortable going to a party, so I wanted to provide a really fun space for students of all years to come together to celebrate all that Halloween has to bring, show off their costumes, eat too much candy, and overall have a blast!” 

After the event, first-year student Garrett Buchanan commented, “I had a blast! I dressed up, jumped around and got to eat free donuts. It was really well-organized and nice to have something to do for Halloween.” 

Students who wanted to get off-campus had a number of options around Santa Barbara. Paseo Nuevo hosted The Monster Mash, where attendees could boogie with a DJ in the popular shopping center. Pumpkin patches, a spooky-themed Santa Barbara Zoo, or even paranormal tours of the city all contributed to Santa Barbara’s festive feel over the holiday weekend.