Juggling work and school: Employment on and off the ‘Mont

Zoe Contreras, The Horizon

Student working on campus at the library front desk

Melody Rosales, Staff Writer

Students at Westmont discuss the struggles of having a job while in school, and the different challenges with on-campus and off-campus jobs.

Second-year Ariana Flores works at Tri-County Produce as a cashier. Flores named many struggles with off-campus jobs, including “having to manage your time, transportation and not being able to do more things on campus.”

Flores utilizes the 955, a transportation service offered by Westmont that allows students to book rides for specific times. She described some challenges that come with using the 955: “Sometimes they have to take multiple people at the same time, so you might be late or maybe a little early.” She added, “It got busy during Thanksgiving, so it was hard to tell what was going to happen, how I was going to get to work when everyone was trying to go home.”

Bailey Mueller, a third-year, juggles three on-campus jobs. Mueller’s jobs include working for the athletic events staff, working as a teacher’s assistant (TA) for the general chemistry class, and stockroom assistant for general chemistry lab 1.

Second-year Madeline Stiles is also a TA for general chemistry. Stiles explained her job includes a lot of grading as well as hosting “one of the study sessions every week so students can come and ask questions about their homework.”

All three students shared how they faced the challenge of time management. Speaking to maintaining her schoolwork and a job, Flores said, “I use my planner a lot … I made it so it’s kind of the same each week so I know what to expect.” 

Mueller also intentionally creates time for school work: “I planned my [non-school] work schedule … in chunks, so I do it all in one or two days and have the rest of the week to focus on other things.” 

Likewise, Stiles admitted struggling with time management. She overcame it by “planning out my days and schedul[ing] out things to make sure I’m spending enough time on everything, because otherwise it’s really easy to get behind.” 

Stiles thought an on-campus job was more convenient. She explained, “I think off-campus would just be too much for me because you’d have to drive back and forth, and that takes up a lot more time.” Flores, on the other hand, preferred an off-campus job because she gets paid more. 

Mueller agreed with Stiles, but also recognized the disadvantages of an on-campus job: “I [like] having an on-campus job for the convenience of it — it’s right here, you don’t have to drive anywhere. One of the disadvantages is [not] getting the amount of hours you want.”

Despite the difficulties of having a job, Westmont students work to manage their time and continue their education.