Senior Series: Paul Mezurashi

Syd Burnama, Staff Writer

Paul Mezurashi, a baseball athlete for Westmont College, has been one of the many effective members on the team. Mezurashi is from Oahu, Hawaii, more specifically: a town on the windward side of the island called Kailua. 

Mezurashi has been a part of the Westmont baseball team throughout his four years at college and has been familiar with the game since the age of five. He shared, “It was always my dream to be able to play baseball at a collegiate level. I found out about Westmont through a travel ball camp that stays on campus during the summer — that’s when I was introduced to Coach Cougoule. We had kept in touch and he took a chance on me by recruiting me. When I took my visit, the guys and the campus just felt like home.”

When coming to Westmont in 2019 as a first-year student, Mezurashi had an exceptional start in his collegiate career by appearing in 48 games, tying for the team lead with 46 runs scored, tying for the 11th-most runs in the Golden State Athletic Conference (GSAC), and the most runs in a single season in program history.

Maintaining the tempo in 2020, he appeared in 24 games, stole a career-high three bases against Menlo University, tied for third-most stolen bases in a single game in program history, and ended the year strong with a perfect 1.000 fielding percentage.

As for the year that was almost stripped away by the pandemic, Mezurashi made the most out of it by appearing in 36 games, serving as the primary courtesy runner for Westmont catchers, and stealing a season-high three bases against San Diego Christian on Feb. 19, 2021.

Baseball has made a lasting impact on Mezurashi’s life. Not only has he been a successful player, but he has also been deeply invested in his team. He shared, “through the trials and tribulations of life, the biggest thing I have learned is that, no matter what, there are 49 teammates and brothers that have my back.” This shows more of the Islander mentality he finds in the family aspect of the team, which has only encouraged his performance on the field and, in turn, grants a higher victory than beating records. 

Mezurashi said, “so far, the most memorable moment would be my first hit of the year, which was a triple. All I remember is getting to third and seeing the boys go nuts, and that fired me up.”

The team is currently 11-1. With this great start, Mezurashi will continue to fuel the team with his leadership and great plays. He shared, “This season, I look forward to showing up ready to play Warrior baseball with all the guys on the team and taking one step closer to Lewiston every day.”

However, the reality of Mezurashi’s departure from Westmont College proves that all good things must come to an end. After graduating this spring, Mezurashi plans on getting a master’s in Sports Marketing and continuing a career in athletics by becoming a personal trainer, or even a coach.

Mezurashi’s long-term goal is to make a living in Santa Barbara, and if that’s one way to keep him around Westmont, it’s a future we can hope for.