Men’s basketball continues perfect start

Jacob Norling, Staff Writer

With an entirely new look this season, expectations for the Westmont men’s basketball team weren’t sky high. However, after four games, the new group remains undefeated after its latest win over La Sierra on the road, with a final score of 105-71.

The team, having won Saturday’s competition by 34 points, have now outscored its opponents 397 to 285 this season. The Warriors have averaged 99.3 points per game and have given up a mere 71.3 for opposing squads. Across the board, the team has been nothing short of dominant, as the stat sheets are one-sided enough to leave any fan baffled. For example, the Warriors are averaging 12.5 more rebounds per game than their opponents and also average nine more assists.

On Saturday, fans at La Sierra paid for a front-row seat to the Cade Roth show as he poured in a game-high 31 points, shooting six of nine from downtown. Roth, a sophomore out of Silverton, Oregon, averaged 4.6 points per game last season while playing about 16 minutes per game.This year, he has been given a chance to shine and has done nothing short of claiming the spotlight. On top of his 31 points on Saturday, he is also the team’s leading scorer throughout the first four matchups, averaging 18.8 points per game for Westmont.

Against La Sierra, the Warriors also received 18 points from junior Gyse Hulsebosch, who has grown into his nickname “Gyse Curry” in a hurry for the Warriors. Hulsebosch, who was often looked at as the lovable youngster on the squad in years past, now finds himself as not only an upperclassmen, but also as one of the faces and leaders of the squad both on and off the court, a role he has taken in stride.

Hunter Sipe contributed 13 points to the contest, as the junior transfer out of South Puget Sound C.C. (Washington) has become Mr. Reliable for his new club. He has transitioned flawlessly into not only his Westmont community, but even more so into his team’s offensive attack. He’s been the second leading scorer behind Roth, averaging 15.3 points per game.

Overall, known faces like Roth and Hulsebosch have come into their own, while newcomers such as Sipe and also Justin Bessard have brought new life into a men’s basketball program; the team appears to possess a spark that this particular generation of Westmont students has yet to witness on the hardwood.

The Warriors return home this Saturday against Pomona-Pitzer with tip-off scheduled for 7:00 p.m.