Women’s cross country places second at GSAC meet

Tim Heiduk, Sports Editor

The Westmont women’s cross country team placed second at the GSAC Championships on Friday in Irvine, while the men’s team finished fourth.

Freshman Madden Hundley led the women’s team in the five-kilometer race with a sixth place finish in a time of 19:09.9. Senior co-captain Amanda Colacchia was the next Warrior to cross the finish line, placing 10th (19:22.9). Both Hundley and Colacchia earned All-GSAC honors, while Hundley qualified for the NAIA National Championships as an individual.

The next three Warriors to finish were freshman Callie Guthrie in 15th (20:02.9), senior Dana Hjelm in 18th (20:14.9), and senior co-captain Sarah Claud in 20th (20:30.6).

On the men’s side, senior captain Michael Oldach was the highest Warrior finisher in the eight-kilometer race, placing 10th in a time of 26:34.3. Oldach won the GSAC Championship the previous two years, but this time was hampered by an injury. Despite the limitation, the All-American was still able to earn All-GSAC honors and qualify for nationals as an individual.

Rounding out the top-five for the men were sophomore Jason Peterson in 16th (26:52.9), junior Thaddeus Kowalik in 20th (27:20.8), freshman Daniel Rubin in 21st (27:23.4), and junior Chris Hanessian in 30th (28:07.5).