Women’s swim adds another national qualifier

Phebe Chang, Staff Writer

After a successful meet at the PCSC Pentathlon two weekends ago, the Westmont women’s swim team had qualified for all but one relay in the NAIA National Championship meet. Despite the poor air quality at the Malibu Invite on Saturday, the Warriors have now qualified for each relay even at Nationals, this time qualifying for the 200 medley relay.

Only two weeks into the competing season, there is nothing but high hopes for the lady Warriors.

“I’m proud our team has already qualified in all five relays,” said sophomore Holley Fellows. “I’m excited to see what we can achieve as this is just the beginning and I think we have a lot of potential.”

The first day of the Malibu Invite at the Raleigh Runnels Memorial Pool on the campus of Pepperdine was cancelled on Friday due to the fires nearby. However, the meet continued for the second day of competition on Saturday.

“It started out being a little hectic considering the air quality caused the meet to be canceled on Friday, and we had to adjust to a shorter format on Saturday only,” said head coach Jill Jones Lin. This required the women to swim four events in four hours, in what would normally be seven events over two days.

Despite all of the obstacles, the Warriors finessed their way to making themselves known in the competition. Bailey Lemmon had the first personal national qualifying time in program history, qualifying for nationals in the 50-meter freestyle with a time of 25.14 seconds. Lemmon placed fourth out of 33 swimmers.

The Warriors scored a total of 26 points, 17 points higher than Biola and four points higher than The Master’s University.

The team’s next meet is the the Soka Invitational on Nov. 9.