Women’s soccer shuts out Vanguard

Tim Heiduk, Sports Editor

The No. 7 Westmont women’s soccer team continued its perfect start to Golden State Athletic Conference (GSAC) play with a 3-0 win over No. 12 Vanguard on Saturday. It was the first time the current seniors have defeated the Lions in their careers. The Warriors, now 9-1-1 overall and 3-0 in the GSAC, are tied for first place in the conference standings with OUAZ (Ariz.).

GSAC Offensive Player of the Week Bri Johnson opened the scoring for Westmont in the 38th minute. The junior forward scored her team-leading eighth goal of the season and fifth GSAC goal in just three conference games.

After taking a 1-0 lead into halftime, junior midfielder Isabelle Berthoud scored her seventh of the year in the 74th minute off a Johnson assist to double the Warriors’ lead. Freshman forward Chase Sprink then added an insurance goal in the 89th minute, off an assist from Berthoud. It was Sprink’s first career collegiate goal.

Junior goalkeeper Gabi Haw was named GSAC Defensive Player of the Week for her efforts between the posts, recording her sixth shutout of the season after making five saves.

The team returns to action today at 3 p.m. against Hope International and will look to continue its unbeaten start to conference play.