Spring Sing: a tradition that brings Westmont together 

Kaylee Monahan, Staff Writer

Spring Sing is coming up sooner than you think! Assistant producer Josh Fitzgerald shares insights into how students can get involved in one of Westmont’s oldest traditions, held this year on April 1. 

Fitzgerald is a fourth-year data analytics and economics and business double major. This will be his third involvement with Spring Sing, following his participation in last year’s VK production and his first-year participation in Page, held online due to COVID-19. In that performance, he says, “You can find me lifting some 2.5lb dumbbells from my garage in a neon tracksuit somewhere in our video!” 

This year, he’s a part of the Spring Sing committee as the assistant producer. His position has many diverse responsibilities that make Spring Sing possible. Some of his responsibilities include planning meetings and communication with other directors and participating students.   

Fitzgerald defines Spring Sing as “A musical competition between the halls at Westmont that draws on the theme picked by the committee.” However, he claims that it’s more than that. The event addresses several parts of Westmont’s unique culture: “Spring Sing has to gather individuals from all facets of the Westmont community and reinforces the culture we have of being so tight-knit.” 

In addition to student involvement, he states that “Spring Sing is one of the biggest ways that the Westmont community can come together, including the wider Westmont community such as alumni, family members of current students, faculty, etc.” As well as connecting with the broader Santa Barbara community, Spring Sing is held yearly in the Santa Barbara Bowl, an impressive venue for a college event. 

Fitzgerald joined the committee because “it seemed like a great opportunity to contribute given the ways I thought I could use my skills.” On top of committee positions like Fitgerald’s, there are a variety of ways for students to make a contribution. If performing doesn’t sound enticing, Fitzgerald explains that “you can also get involved with your hall’s production by helping the directors in script writing, prop/backdrop design, choreography or even logistics as well.” 

In terms of this year’s production, Fitzgerald explains that “seeing how excited, talented and creative the leaders for each hall have been so far has gotten me really excited about what to expect moving forward.” He’s also eager to see how the halls will approach this show’s theme, April Fool’s. 

Spring Sing is intended to be an outlet for students to come together in community in a light-hearted and energetic way. Fitzgerald encourages students to consider involvement. He declares that “Directors want as many people as possible [to join], so they will find a way to make students get involved.” If students are interested in joining their hall for Spring Sing, contact the hall’s director for more information.