Editor’s Note: A final goodbye

Annika Bahnsen, Sports Editor

Another year has come and gone, which means my time here at the Horizon has come to an end.

I have had the pleasure of being the Horizon’s Sports Editor for two years as well as a writer for the sports section during my freshman year.

This experience has taught me so much and lit my passion for journalism. I now have the honor to work at the Santa Barbara News-Press after graduation, a major career milestone for me.

I would not have been able to do this without the help of my two Editors-in-Chief, Chloe White and Wesley Brown. I extend my gratitude to these two leaders who taught me everything I know.

Additionally, I want to thank Christa Kurkjian, my Sports Editor from when I was a freshman. She helped me learn the ropes and originally encouraged me to apply for the Sports Editor position. Her commitment to true journalism is something I admire, and seeing her gifts being used at KEYT in Santa Barbara is so special!

The sports section writers have also been the best foundation for Westmont sports news. Their consistency and dedication to the newspaper are appreciated beyond all measure. Thank you for making my job so enjoyable.

Enough of me, though. This semester in the Westmont Athletic community, the athletes have showcased an array of grit and success.

We started the semester with the well-known women’s basketball team taking control of the Golden State Athletic Conference (GSAC). Although their season came to an end in a tough loss against Marian University in the round of 16 in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) championship tournament, they proved once again how powerful of a team they can be.

Additionally, fourth-year Stefanie Berbarabe was named First Team NAIA Women’s Basketball All-American and a Women’s Basketball Coaches Association All-American for the third year in a row. Her presence on the court will be missed next year!

The men’s baseball team has dominated GSAC, finishing the season as outright GSAC champions. After last year’s success, making it to the NAIA World Series, the Warriors continue to outshine the rest of the competition. We hope to see the men go far this season, with a possible championship ring in the conversation!

Women’s swim had a record-breaking year, with many of the athletes being named to the All-American squad. With many successful meets and a unique trip to Alaska, the women were able to make a name for themselves in the end-of-season NAIA championship swim meet. The swim team also celebrated the seniors who have been there since the inaugural year of the swimming program as freshmen.

Westmont Athletics will now start the process of moving to NCAA Division II over the summer, a great accomplishment that will elevate the athletic department to an even higher level.

As the year comes to a close, the Horizon thanks everyone for reading our news and supporting the publication!

I am excited to see what the next year looks like under the new Sports Editor, Katherine Bouma.

As always, I appreciate my time here, and I can’t wait to see how the Horizon transforms over the next few years.

– Annika Bahnsen