The Student News Site of Westmont College

The Horizon

The Horizon

The Horizon

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Say “Hey!” to Westmont’s Asian Student Association

In light of the upcoming year, the Asian Student Association (ASA) prepares for new goals and visions, excited to welcome students into their community. This year, ASA has three co-leaders: Cat Nguyen, Kate Ohara and Nate Kim. Each co-leader has their own unique upbringing which greatly impacts the direction they will take ASA this year. 

Nguyen is a third-year student, double majoring in communications and political science. She was born in Vietnam and moved to San Jose eight years ago with her family. Ohara is a third-year sociology major. She was born in China and adopted by her Japanese American family in Pasadena. Kim is a Korean American from Cypress, Orange County. He is a second-year business major. 

ASA is a part of the Intercultural Program which consists of various student organizations. These student organizations, including ASA, are crafted and catered towards those who would benefit from a space in which students can relate to one another. Nguyen says, “ASA is open to everyone, but we encourage everyone to go to the organization where they share the most common experiences.” Many may ask why? These organizations are dedicated to creating a safe environment for students to share their mutual struggles and joys that come with their identity. 

This year’s ASA leadership has one main goal for the organization. Their focus is to ensure that ASA is and remains a group that welcomes and celebrates the Asian community at Westmont. Ohara emphasizes that, “ASA is a space to process your Asian identity and listen to each others’ experiences.” Nguyen adds that she hopes for ASA “to be a place for celebration and appreciation for Asian students.” ASA leadership wants a place for Asian students to feel safe and validated for a variety of experiences they may come across on campus. 

Nguyen emphasizes that she doesn’t want ASA to be solely educational. She wants ASA to be a fun place that allows students to simply exist and not have to justify their food, appearance or culture to others. ASA is a place meant to help Asian students feel like they belong. 

Focusing on fun, ASA threw a beach kickoff this past weekend, which is a tradition they follow every year. Because Asian students are a minority on campus, they are hard to come by on a daily basis. Through ASA, these events create a space for students to connect with each other, whom otherwise they would not have met without these events. At the kickoff, they enjoyed an amazing sunset as they played beach volleyball and enjoyed good food. Ohara reflects that “these were the most freshmen that have come in a while to the beach kickoff. So, it was nice to see both first timers and returners come together.”

Along with the beach kickoff, during the intercultural week, ASA also hosted a boba movie night which had a cozy atmosphere and a great student turnout.

Overall, Westmont has a lot to look forward to from ASA and the leadership. We can see their heart and willingness to make ASA the best that it can be for the students. There is a lot to look forward to for all the fun this upcoming year. So if you ever get a chance, say “hey” to ASA!