The Student News Site of Westmont College

The Horizon

The Horizon

The Horizon

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Men’s soccer update

Brad Elliot

The Warriors of Westmont men’s soccer most recently took on the Mustangs of The Master’s University at Thorrington Field. 

The Warriors started off hot and ready with a goal in the seventh minute by Michael Stull and an assist by Leonel Olivo Ortiz from left field. The Mustangs took the lead, but Westmont fired back in the 81st minute with a goal scored by Martin Anguiano, assisted by Landon Vanderhyde. The Westmont Warriors came up just short of three goals by the end of the match, after putting up a wicked fight. 

The Warriors walked off the field with their heads high and in reflection on how to better themselves for the next game. Head coach Morgan Cathey wants these men to “work as hard as they can to be the best version of themselves” and “not to forget about the journey that will lead them to the end result.” 

Third-year soccer athlete, Martin Anguiano, gave us an insider to some of the strategies that the Warriors do as a team when getting down. He stated, “We try to do our best, get loud, be positive with each other and still trust the process like Coach Morgans says. To believe in us as a team.” 

A fourth-year in the program, Donovan Hawat, showed us a glimpse of how he gets locked in for games. Hawat’s pregame ritual consists of eating three and a half hours before the game, listening to the same playlist of songs, going to the training room to get loose and feel good and visualize to get ready and be in the moment for the game. 

Another fourth-year on the men’s soccer team, Matthew Morgan, shared his mindset going forward into the rest of the athletics season. Morgan shared that he strives to, “continue to stick to the mentality of ‘we are a whole team.’” 

With just one more match until Pacwest play, the Warriors are cracking down on their strengths and weaknesses to take on more opponents ahead.  

The Warriors of men’s soccer might have rolled into this season with a tough start, but that will not stop Westmont College from having a great season!