The Student News Site of Westmont College

The Horizon

The Horizon

The Horizon

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Westmont Warriors conquer Biola Eagles in rivalry soccer match

Michaela+Morris
Michaela Morris

On September 30, Westmont women’s soccer defeated Biola University in an intense rivalry match. The Warriors came out on top with a 2-1 victory in their first PacWest game. 

The Warriors began the soccer match with resilience, with the first goal in the 12th minute, scored by Amarys Machado, third year biology major and forward for Westmont women’s soccer. The Eagles scored shortly after in the 15th minute, tying the game. An intense match followed.

In efforts to break the tie and take the lead the Warriors took many shots on goal. With 13 total shots taken in the rivalry match, only 8 of them were on goal. 

In the 51st minute of the game, second year athlete Amelia Villa, finished a beautiful shot redirecting the Warriors to take the lead in the match. The Warriors remained ahead of the Eagles and finished the game in a strong 2-1 lead. 

This was an exciting first win for the Warriors as they head into a competitive season where they will face more competitive Division II play. Not only was this a big win for the Warriors since it was their first PacWest game, but it also was significant because of the long existing rivalry between Westmont College and Biola University. The team’s hard work and dedication will no doubt carry them through their games to come in the 2023-2024 athletic season. 

“The win against Biola was significant because it fuels our competitive drive to become the best team we can be,” said second year soccer athlete Elise Hyde. “This win was a reminder that hard work, a supportive team culture and communication are key for our success,” she said.