The Student News Site of Westmont College

The Horizon

The Horizon

The Horizon

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Alaina Dean: A woman who does it all

Senior Spotlight

If you’ve ever stopped and wondered, “Who’s that blonde girl with the cool jewelry?” on your walk to the DC, it’s Alaina Dean. Alaina is a woman of many trades; biology major, environmental activist and theatrically inclined feminist. 

Dean recently starred as herself in Westmont’s production of the musical Godspell. This was one of many roles for this queen of the stage. In her time at Westmont, Dean has done every single Westmont Theatre production offered to her. Her favorite role was Cleante in “The Miser.” This play stuck out to her because “the costumes were spectacular, the set was unique, and it was an old story but gender bent so it felt modern and gave a lot of power and voice to women.” 

A day in the life of Dean is not solely spent on stage. After rising and shining after a four to five hour sleep Dean attends biology labs, works as a teachers assistant , catches up on studies, goes to rehearsal and then back again to studies. All of this work isn’t for nothing. After college, Dean hopes to to move closer to Los Angeles to begin auditioning for movies and television, to work alongside a theater company and to find a job in sustainability or habitat conservation. It is clear Dean is a woman of many passions. 

This past summer Dean was able to attend the Prague Shakespeare company, working 10 hour days in acting classes and rehearsals. She got to work with some of the best Shakespearean actors and directors in the world, in a total of four theaters, doing three shows, as seven roles. Dean explained how this experience involved “constantly having to become a different character in a different world” and how it helped her to “be more adaptable and live more in the present as a person and a character.” 

Dean filmed a movie this past summer with Star of Magnolia Productions in Seattle called “King Tera,” which will be released this summer. Additionally, she has four ideas in the works for Westmont’s annual Fringe Festival.

Another facet of Dean is her distinct sense of style. When asked about her fashion sense, she explained that she takes inspiration from “That 70s Show,” bright colors, the subtle styles of the 80s and “things that most people think are ugly.” 

Dean is not one to just go with what people think is best. She is a firm believer in not putting oneself into a box, be it your major, gender or background. That is evident in the way she lives her life; exploring many diverse passions and subjects. Dean explained, “when in college you are put into a box for your major, but that is limiting because every human has so many talents.” Dean challenges others, saying “I ask that if you can, you should try to put yourself into as many experiences as possible and not just label yourself as one thing. Dabble in departments.” Dean embodies this day to day.